Windows XP Windows XP Error Messages

Reaction score
I have a Dell Latitude D820 running Win XP. I had to install 3 different HP printers about 3 weeks ago, after much trouble installing the 3, I got them all to perform. But now every time I start up, I get a series ( 3 or 4 ) of tray "new hardware found" messages that I have to click off and then a large error message in the desktop screen field with the same "new hardware found". If I don't manually click it off, the boot up will just freeze right there and go no further. Can this wise group tell me how to shut this off or clean it up out of my computer, forever?

Thank you
Barry

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi & Welcome to the Forum,

Sounds like they never installed properly in the first place, as it keeps recognising them as new, it probably freezes as you have 3 printers all diving into one printer slot.

What i would do is;

1. Uninstall the drivers you have installed already for all 3 printers.
2. Take one printer, if its a Hewlett Packard, go to the HP site and get the latest drivers, install them, then connect the printer and it will install properly, same for epson or whomever.

3.Just repeat that for each printer, don't plug it in and then install drivers XP isn't Vista its not very clever.

FYI, you can get the manuals from the respective sites as well, worth getting if you don't have them.

Hope this helps.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
i hate HP printers. they are never easy to get working.

i would start fresh with each one. boot to safe mode to do this.

Go thru Add/Remove programs to remove the software, if installed. Search the registry for instances of HP Printer......whatever model they are. remove the keys that you find. Ensure that you don't remove items for OTHER HP items you may have........which is probably not the case.

Once you do that, boot normally, load the software for each printer......ONE AT A TIME. that way you don't confuse the system, and yourself.

The software will load, and chances are, after reboot, you will have the hardware wizard show up.

From my experience with HP printers, they like to hide the drivers on the disk. I would recommend exploring the disk first before doing any of this. There should be a folder indicated "drivers" or you will see an English folder. Drivers should be in that folder.

be sure to do this one at a time, as IT WILL GIVE YOU ISSUES. make sure you reboot a couple times after each install. that will ensure that you have a proper install of the device.

Take that route and you should have no issues. Worst case scenario, you always have HP, if they are in warranty. Even the tech guys have to call sometimes simply because HP likes to hide the drivers.

Hope it works for you

- Surfer

Ask a Question