Windows Will Not Get Past Boot Screen, Not Sure if Hardware Or Software Problem

Reaction score
Umm, for the past week, my PC, with Windows XP Home SP2, has been freezing up a LOT, during booting, or in Windows. I am not sure what is causing it at all, but when I COULD get in, no spyware or viruses were detected. It is getting on my nerves, and I am praying there is a solution. Please help!

Reaction score
Check event log.

Check if it still hangs when booting to safemode.

Try system restore to a point when all was well.

J

Reaction score
I cannot get into Windows AT ALL. The blue bars that move under the word, Windows XP, seldom move... while going into Safe Mode, it freezes at AGP440.sys... so the event log and System Restore are out of the question. When I was able to get into Windows, I tried using a temperature monitor, to check the temperatures... and apparently, it isn't overheating, as far as I can tell.

Reaction score
when booting to safemode leave it there for at least 30mins it hasn't frozen.

Reaction score
It got past the agp440.sys point... but it froze when it got to the screen, that said "Windows is starting up".

Reaction score
you last last known good configuration?

also try removing all peripherals from the pc apart from keyb, mse and monitor, so remove scanners, printers etc.

then reboot.

Reaction score
I just tried... it froze up during the installation, maybe 5 minutes into it... Windows won't reinstall... any ideas now?

Reaction score
MortNoir said:
I just tried... it froze up during the installation, maybe 5 minutes into it... Windows won't reinstall... any ideas now?

whats ur error message?

Reaction score
There was no error message. It simply, and completely, froze up. It locked up, and wouldn't move, even after sitting for about an hour (I retried it).

Reaction score
Yup---------- I hope you have a floppy drive!!!!
Please be prepared if you choose my advice. Get boot disk, my favortie is UBD (Ultimate boot disk) or any other you choose. Delete all partitions and format hard drive. If you can't format hardrive than, it may be bad. Format than power system down. Unplug pc from power source and hold in power button(power drain). Open case, unseat and reseat memory. Then power back up and try reinstalling then. If still crashing and you have 2 memory sticks than remove one, and try all combinations of slots and cards. Restart computer, go into BIOS and reset default values. For most pcs its F-1,F-2 or delete to enter Bios/ then f-5,f-9 to reset defualts and f-10 to save and exit. If no function key values shown on bottom pain than tap escape once and you should see a menu apear.

Then with UBD in floppy drive try to reinstall windows. If that fails, see if you can get your hands on another 'imaged' drive. Which basically means unplug a hard drive from a working computer and plug it into yours. If it hangs than it def some hardware. Also you can try 'imaging' (installing windows) on that hard drive inside of another pc.

Hope that all makes sense, if not post questions- or message me, I'm on 12hours a day Sun-Wed.
Good luck--

Reaction score
It froze during the XP Installation... right at the partition screen. I have a major feeling this is becoming a hardware problem... and I couldn't make an UBD, as I have no floppy diskettes. Any ideas now?

Ask a Question