Windows XP Windows Vista Service Pack 1 ... Out Next Week!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
If you have been waiting for Service Pack 1 for Windows Vista, well, you can now mark your calender.

Monday 4th February ... that's tomorrow. ;) :D

Microsoft claims Windows Vista SP1 will provide key improvements on the security, performance and reliability of Windows Vista by providing :
  • All previously released updates since RTM
  • Performance and reliability improvements in core scenarios such as file copy, network browsing, and improved response time to resume from sleep.
  • Support for new types of hardware, and several emerging standards.
  • There are improvements to the administration experience. One of the most important changes we’re making is that BitLocker now supports encrypting for multiple volumes.
Of course, Service Pack 1 will also disable two common methods of hacking Windows Vista, namely the OEM BIOS exploit and the Grace Timer exploit. ;)

Notable changes ...

http://technet2.microsoft.com/Windo...f706-401e-abb5-eec42ea0a03e1033.mspx?mfr=true

... yep, I read it all. :rolleyes: :D

:user:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to these "performance improvements" - it probably won't make much difference but you never know :)

Reaction score
COOL I cant wait for it.

I take it that I just install this in Windows Home Premuim like I did with xp right or do I need to download it and boot from cd?

wizkid

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It will just download using Windows Update, no boot CD's or anything ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well I'm still on auto update so shouldn't have to do anything to get this.

Never got round to disabling auto-update and no harm done so far.

It still unnerves me a little though to think the staff at Redmond might be viewing all my family photographs.....

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Just a heads up - I thought SP1 was available over Windows Update from today... but that isn't the case:

New PCs with Vista and SP1 installed will arrive in "the coming months," while Microsoft's enterprise customers will get DVDs soon. For end users, SP1 will be released via a staged rollout. The release will be made available via Windows Update starting in mid-March, and then only to PCs that don't have problematic hardware installed. In mid-April, SP1 will be rolled out to all users who have configured Windows Update for automatic updating.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Gosh !! What's problematic hardware?

I'm sure we all have some of that.
icon12.gif

muckshifter

Reaction score
I'm seeing conflicting reports also ... so, I suppose we'll get it when we get it.

:D

Reaction score
Does any one know when it will be out on ms site or is it just going to be preinstalled on computer in coming months?

wizkid

muckshifter

Reaction score
wizkid said:
Does any one know when it will be out on ms site or is it just going to be preinstalled on computer in coming months?

wizkid
It has, as far as I can ascertain, been released today, but, only to OEM manufacturers ... so they can 'bundle' the latest-n-greatest asap ... we will get it via Windows Update, eventually. When? I don't know.

:thumb:

Ask a Question