Windows Update Question

S

Scott

There's a new Windows Update KP835409 described as follows:

"You cannot restore a Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) system restore point after
you restore a Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) system restore point. The operating system
on the computer will still be Windows XP SP1. Additionally, you cannot use System Restore
to restore any restore point that was created prior to the installation of a COM+ update
on a Windows XP SP1-based computer."

I have SP1 on my XP Pro machine, and I don't intend to upgrade to SP2.

Also, what is a COM+ application?

If neither of these apply to me, would I be better off not installing this update?

I always install the critical patches but like to avoid updates for issues that don't
apply to my usage.

Thanks!
Scott

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Top 10 reasons to install Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/topten.mspx

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows - Shell/User
Microsoft Community Newsgroups
news://msnews.microsoft.com/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:

| There's a new Windows Update KP835409 described as follows:
|
| "You cannot restore a Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) system restore point after
| you restore a Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) system restore point. The operating system
| on the computer will still be Windows XP SP1. Additionally, you cannot use System Restore
| to restore any restore point that was created prior to the installation of a COM+ update
| on a Windows XP SP1-based computer."
|
| I have SP1 on my XP Pro machine, and I don't intend to upgrade to SP2.
|
| Also, what is a COM+ application?
|
| If neither of these apply to me, would I be better off not installing this update?
|
| I always install the critical patches but like to avoid updates for issues that don't
| apply to my usage.
|
| Thanks!
| Scott

Ask a Question