Windows update problem, ActiveX controls

D

Dave

My workstation is Windows XP Professional SP1, P4 with 256MB of RAM.

Whenever I visit the Windows Update site, I receive the following message: "Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page. As a result, the page may not display correctly". The only choice is to click on OK and then it takes me to a page that says I must run this as the local machine's administrator, which I am already doing. The message appears again and I click OK again and it goes away for good.

The first time I got this error, there was a link to Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 319585. I followed the instructions, which had me deleting temporary internet files, making sure hidden files are shown, and deleting iuctl.dll and iuengine.dll from the System32 and System32\dllcache folders. I have done this and it is still not working.

I have tried changing the security to the lowest possible settings to get around this problem but I get the same error no matter what the settings are. I have also tried doing a repair of Windows XP but to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

M

Maurice N

Hi Dave,

Have you looked at your update log file? Does it show an "Error"?
Use your O.E. go to windowsupdate forum. Look for posts by me. Look for
my set of "usual standard" advice.
btw, be certain to add a set of Microsoft sites to your trusted sites list
for I.E. browser.

Ask a Question