From: Graham Carroll ([email protected])
Subject: Re: Messenger for XP won't launch!

View this article only
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger
Date: 2002-08-13 20:04:59 PST

Are you using version 4.6 in a user account, if yes try
this from Jonathan
Kay.
Here is Jonathan Kays answer to Simons post a little bit
back.Have you tried
my .reg fix on this?
http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/limiteduserfix.r
eg
Log into the accounts where Messenger isn't working, then
run the file,
confirm to add the
information into your
registry (it asks), then log off the account and log back
in again.
Jonathan Kay
Windows MVP, Messenger
Associate Expert
It is wgat you need.
-----------------------

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Greetings Anton,

Firstly, see:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302089
Go through the applicable steps, except when choosing 'Do not allow Windows Messenger to
run', be sure it's set to Disabled. Then check the registry method (the last method listed
on the page), instead of setting a 'PreventRun' DWORD, delete it (as above with the Hide
Messenger DWORD). You will need to reboot to see the change.

If that's not the cause, do you happen to have DirectX 9 installed (it may have been
installed with a game or demo as well)? To check, click Start, then Run, enter "dxdiag" and
click OK. In the first window that appears, you'll see "DirectX version" listed, if it's 9,
then upgrade to DirectX 9a:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/downloads/drx90.asp

If your DirectX version is listed as 8.1, then this isn't the problem.

Finally, in none of this worked or applies, you can try a full reinstallation of Windows
Messenger:
Click the start button, then click Run and type in (copy-paste if you like):

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Then click OK.
Messenger will then be uninstalled. For more detailed instructions and screenshots, go to,
http://messenger.jonathankay.com/problem.aspx?ID=7

Then reboot, click "Yes" to remove your personal settings, and then reinstall from:
http://messenger.microsoft.com/download/download.asp?client=0.
Jonathan Kay
Windows MVP, Messenger
Associate Expert

Anton

Thank you Jonathan!

I went to the following location in group policy:

GPEDIT.MSC > Local Computer Policy > Computer
Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows
Components > Windows Messenger >

I then set the following two settings to "Not Configured"
instead of "Enabled" (see below). This fixed the problem!
Thanks again!

Do not allow Windows Messenger to run
Do not automatically start Windows Messenger initially