Windows Login Doesn't Appear upon reboot

G

I purchased a Zune last night and the software indicated I needed to update
my Windows (XP Home Edition I believe) to service pack 2 prior to
installation so I just did a windows update and everything seemed to update
fine. Was asked to restart so I restarted and when it rebooted, I get the
screen that windows is loading, but when I'm supposed to get a login screen
to get into windows, I just get a blank screen. I can use the cursor, but
nothing happens and about 20 seconds afterwards, the computer reboots again.

R

Rock

"TheSchmaranz"
wrote
installation so I just did a windows update and everything seemed to
update
screen that windows is loading, but when I'm supposed to get a login
screen
nothing happens and about 20 seconds afterwards, the computer reboots
again.

How to use the Automatic Recovery feature to recover your computer if the
Windows XP Service Pack 2 Setup program is not completed successfully
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=875355

How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=875350

Download Windows Service Pack 2 Standalone Version
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...BE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default810.mspx

Installing Service Packs
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm

Pre-Install, Install, Cleaning Up Afterwards
http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=45

What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx

Get the Latest Updates and Information from Your PC Manufacturer Before
Installing Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/oemlinks.mspx

The hard disk space requirements for Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=837783

M

mikeyhsd

stupid.
cannot you read.
the computer does not boot.
how do you expect him to go on line for assistance.

(e-mail address removed)

"TheSchmaranz"
wrote
installation so I just did a windows update and everything seemed to
update
screen that windows is loading, but when I'm supposed to get a login
screen
nothing happens and about 20 seconds afterwards, the computer reboots
again.

How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=875350

Download Windows Service Pack 2 Standalone Version
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...BE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default810.mspx

Installing Service Packs
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm

Pre-Install, Install, Cleaning Up Afterwards
http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=45

What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx

Get the Latest Updates and Information from Your PC Manufacturer Before
Installing Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/oemlinks.mspx

The hard disk space requirements for Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=837783

B

Bob I

Humm, you're pretty caustic. Perhaps the OP will use the same method to
go on line as he used to post the message? Humm?

R

Rock

Humm, you're pretty caustic. Perhaps the OP will use the same method to go

Lol, my little yap dog got loose again. He does seem to miss the obvious,
doesn't he?

M

mikeyhsd

does not make any difference. the computer in question will not boot, so it cannot go on line for diagnostic help.

just more stupid suggestions from our resident net nanny.
my favorite is someone who apparently from posting is not computer literate and is told to remove hard drive and install in external box.

that's what comes from trying to be first to answer and using canned answers instead of attempting to tailor the answer to the poster.

(e-mail address removed)

M

mikeyhsd

looks like the heel biting is getting to you.

its evident you have me blocked as you are like bush afraid to read anything question ability.
since you are severely lacking in any.
if it were not for the the many mvp web sites with the answers you would be lost.

(e-mail address removed)

Rock said:
Humm, you're pretty caustic. Perhaps the OP will use the same method to go

Lol, my little yap dog got loose again. He does seem to miss the obvious,
doesn't he?

J

Joe Grover

Mikey:

The original poster obviously has access to the internet somehow (a secondary box, at work, etc) or he would not have been able to go onto an internet newsgroup and post a request for help. How do you think he posted his request? Do you think he closed his eyes and wished the post to appear here?

Since he clearly has access to the internet from a computer other than the one he's having problems with, then he could use that same access to visit a couple of websites for assistance. You may even be able to stretch your tiny mind far enough to assume he may also have a printer in which to print off said websites for offline viewing.

Advice does not have to be read on the affected machine in order for it to be effective. Bob's post to you was 100% accurate, and your desperate attempts to make it seem like it wasn't only makes you look more the fool.
does not make any difference. the computer in question will not boot, so it cannot go on line for diagnostic help.

my favorite is someone who apparently from posting is not computer literate and is told to remove hard drive and install in external box.

that's what comes from trying to be first to answer and using canned answers instead of attempting to tailor the answer to the poster.

(e-mail address removed)

M

mikeyhsd

I STAND BY MY ORIGINAL COMMENT.
neither you nor anyone knows the expertise of the OP.
nor does anyone know how or where the posting was made from.
seems all you wish to do is to defend an incompetent buffoon.
it for sure needs all the help it can get.

if it were not for mvp web sites with the canned answers , it would be totally lost in providing help.

if only more people could learn that they can also search the ms kb and or the appropriate mvp web sites, it would make things easier.

(e-mail address removed)

Mikey:

The original poster obviously has access to the internet somehow (a secondary box, at work, etc) or he would not have been able to go onto an internet newsgroup and post a request for help. How do you think he posted his request? Do you think he closed his eyes and wished the post to appear here?

Since he clearly has access to the internet from a computer other than the one he's having problems with, then he could use that same access to visit a couple of websites for assistance. You may even be able to stretch your tiny mind far enough to assume he may also have a printer in which to print off said websites for offline viewing.

Advice does not have to be read on the affected machine in order for it to be effective. Bob's post to you was 100% accurate, and your desperate attempts to make it seem like it wasn't only makes you look more the fool.

(e-mail address removed)

J

Joe Grover

We don't know the experience of the OP, but since they did in fact post a message at all indicates that they have internet access of some kind--they couldn't have posted it from their PC if their PC will not boot, correct? Your entire point is that their computer can't boot, so it can't get online. Tell me how they could have posted to a newsgroup if they can't get online.

if it were not for mvp web sites with the canned answers , it would be totally lost in providing help.

if only more people could learn that they can also search the ms kb and or the appropriate mvp web sites, it would make things easier.

(e-mail address removed)

Mikey:

(e-mail address removed)

M

mikeyhsd

PUBLIC LIBRARY.

(e-mail address removed)

We don't know the experience of the OP, but since they did in fact post a message at all indicates that they have internet access of some kind--they couldn't have posted it from their PC if their PC will not boot, correct? Your entire point is that their computer can't boot, so it can't get online. Tell me how they could have posted to a newsgroup if they can't get online.

(e-mail address removed)

Mikey:

(e-mail address removed)

J

Joe Grover

Oh, of course. They have computers there but they don't allow anyone to print anything. Ever.

Moron.
PUBLIC LIBRARY.

(e-mail address removed)

(e-mail address removed)

Mikey:

(e-mail address removed)

M

mikeyhsd

exactly, the computer with the problem canot boot so the instructions origionally given are useless.
you asked where to post from, gave you an answer, which you disapprove of.
so that makes you the

M O R O N.

(e-mail address removed)

Oh, of course. They have computers there but they don't allow anyone to print anything. Ever.

Moron.
PUBLIC LIBRARY.

(e-mail address removed)

(e-mail address removed)

Mikey:

(e-mail address removed)

B

Bob I

The very first link provided contains the following instruction to make
the PC bootable.

"Insert the original release version of the Microsoft Windows XP CD in
your computer's CD drive or DVD drive, and then restart your computer."

NOW it is readily apparent to all the people reading this, that YOU are
completely blind to any and all logic, and focused solely on attacking
Rock. I would suggest you either killfile him, OR find some other place
to spend your time.

exactly, the computer with the problem canot boot so the instructions origionally given are useless.
so that makes you the

M O R O N.

(e-mail address removed)

Moron.
PUBLIC LIBRARY.

(e-mail address removed)

(e-mail address removed)

Mikey:

(e-mail address removed)

J

Joe Grover

The point that you continue to miss is this: He doesn't have to be able to boot into Windows to see the replies. The very first link is the one that will most likely take care of his issue, which is this:

He can log on at the library and go to that link, print it off, and follow those instructions, which are for people who can no longer boot after trying to install SP2.

I can only imagine that your beef all this time was that you thought the links given were instructions like "Boot into Windows, do this, do this, then do that" and didn't even look at any of the links.

Other links, such as the instructions on how to download a standalone installation of SP2 rather than obtaining it from Windows Update, things to know before installing SP2, were likely provided just as information the OP can use when going forward with trying to put SP2 back on the computer. Maybe the problem happened while getting SP2 from Windows Update? Well he can try downloading the installation package and running it on the PC this time. Maybe his particular PC has issues if SP2 is installed on it before some required hardware or software updates from the PC manufacturer? One of the links describes that scenario.

You have to admit if that really is your gripe you didn't express it very well. Your original post to Bob said, "how do you expect him to go online for assistance." That was answered quite clearly by both Bob and myself (not that Bob needs my help), as the answer to that is "he has already gone online for assistance by posting his message," showing that it is possible to go online, and even likely that he'll be BACK online to see if anyone has responded to him. If your problem was that he can't boot into the computer to try various things, then that is a completely different argument.
so that makes you the

M O R O N.

(e-mail address removed)

Moron.
PUBLIC LIBRARY.

(e-mail address removed)

(e-mail address removed)

Mikey:

(e-mail address removed)

R

Rock

Joe, I appreciate your and Bob I's efforts to put some rationality into
this, unfortunately the issue has nothing to do with what advice was given.
People post here all the time about problems with non bootable computers and
are given reference links for information on their issue.

For Mikeyhsd it's a personal obsession. We had a disagreement some time
back over a technical issue on the worth of routinely deleting the contents
of the prefetch folder.

For some reason he can't get over that; he's been on this mission ever
since, blind to any logic, and only interested in confrontation. It's sad -
pathetic really - that he devotes so much energy to it, but that's what an
obsession does.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

The point that you continue to miss is this: He doesn't have to be able to
boot into Windows to see the replies. The very first link is the one that
will most likely take care of his issue, which is this:
How to use the Automatic Recovery feature to recover your computer if
the

He can log on at the library and go to that link, print it off, and follow
those instructions, which are for people who can no longer boot after trying
to install SP2.

I can only imagine that your beef all this time was that you thought the
links given were instructions like "Boot into Windows, do this, do this,
then do that" and didn't even look at any of the links.

Other links, such as the instructions on how to download a standalone
installation of SP2 rather than obtaining it from Windows Update, things to
know before installing SP2, were likely provided just as information the OP
can use when going forward with trying to put SP2 back on the computer.
Maybe the problem happened while getting SP2 from Windows Update? Well he
can try downloading the installation package and running it on the PC this
time. Maybe his particular PC has issues if SP2 is installed on it before
some required hardware or software updates from the PC manufacturer? One of
the links describes that scenario.

You have to admit if that really is your gripe you didn't express it very
well. Your original post to Bob said, "how do you expect him to go online
for assistance." That was answered quite clearly by both Bob and myself
(not that Bob needs my help), as the answer to that is "he has already gone
online for assistance by posting his message," showing that it is possible
to go online, and even likely that he'll be BACK online to see if anyone has
responded to him. If your problem was that he can't boot into the computer
to try various things, then that is a completely different argument.
exactly, the computer with the problem canot boot so the instructions
origionally given are useless.
so that makes you the

M O R O N.

(e-mail address removed)

Oh, of course. They have computers there but they don't allow anyone to
print anything. Ever.

Moron.
PUBLIC LIBRARY.

(e-mail address removed)

We don't know the experience of the OP, but since they did in fact
post a message at all indicates that they have internet access of some
kind--they couldn't have posted it from their PC if their PC will not boot,
correct? Your entire point is that their computer can't boot, so it can't
get online. Tell me how they could have posted to a newsgroup if they can't
get online.

if it were not for mvp web sites with the canned answers , it
would be totally lost in providing help.

if only more people could learn that they can also search the ms
kb and or the appropriate mvp web sites, it would make things easier.

(e-mail address removed)

Mikey:

The original poster obviously has access to the internet
somehow (a secondary box, at work, etc) or he would not have been able to go
onto an internet newsgroup and post a request for help. How do you think he
posted his request? Do you think he closed his eyes and wished the post to
appear here?

Since he clearly has access to the internet from a computer
other than the one he's having problems with, then he could use that same
access to visit a couple of websites for assistance. You may even be able
to stretch your tiny mind far enough to assume he may also have a printer in
which to print off said websites for offline viewing.

Advice does not have to be read on the affected machine in
order for it to be effective. Bob's post to you was 100% accurate, and your
desperate attempts to make it seem like it wasn't only makes you look more
the fool.
does not make any difference. the computer in question will
not boot, so it cannot go on line for diagnostic help.

my favorite is someone who apparently from posting is not
computer literate and is told to remove hard drive and install in external
box.

that's what comes from trying to be first to answer and using
canned answers instead of attempting to tailor the answer to the poster.

(e-mail address removed)

Humm, you're pretty caustic. Perhaps the OP will use the
same method to

M

mikeyhsd

call it what you like, but you will notice the comments I make are when you are rude and discourteous and fail to provide help because you disapprove of the persons method of posting, such as group or use of the english language.

notice today that you are beginning to see the light and providing answers and then referring to more appropriate groups.
better conduct.

(e-mail address removed)

Joe, I appreciate your and Bob I's efforts to put some rationality into
this, unfortunately the issue has nothing to do with what advice was given.
People post here all the time about problems with non bootable computers and
are given reference links for information on their issue.

For Mikeyhsd it's a personal obsession. We had a disagreement some time
back over a technical issue on the worth of routinely deleting the contents
of the prefetch folder.

For some reason he can't get over that; he's been on this mission ever
since, blind to any logic, and only interested in confrontation. It's sad -
pathetic really - that he devotes so much energy to it, but that's what an
obsession does.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

The point that you continue to miss is this: He doesn't have to be able to
boot into Windows to see the replies. The very first link is the one that
will most likely take care of his issue, which is this:
How to use the Automatic Recovery feature to recover your computer if
the

He can log on at the library and go to that link, print it off, and follow
those instructions, which are for people who can no longer boot after trying
to install SP2.

I can only imagine that your beef all this time was that you thought the
links given were instructions like "Boot into Windows, do this, do this,
then do that" and didn't even look at any of the links.

Other links, such as the instructions on how to download a standalone
installation of SP2 rather than obtaining it from Windows Update, things to
know before installing SP2, were likely provided just as information the OP
can use when going forward with trying to put SP2 back on the computer.
Maybe the problem happened while getting SP2 from Windows Update? Well he
can try downloading the installation package and running it on the PC this
time. Maybe his particular PC has issues if SP2 is installed on it before
some required hardware or software updates from the PC manufacturer? One of
the links describes that scenario.

You have to admit if that really is your gripe you didn't express it very
well. Your original post to Bob said, "how do you expect him to go online
for assistance." That was answered quite clearly by both Bob and myself
(not that Bob needs my help), as the answer to that is "he has already gone
online for assistance by posting his message," showing that it is possible
to go online, and even likely that he'll be BACK online to see if anyone has
responded to him. If your problem was that he can't boot into the computer
to try various things, then that is a completely different argument.
exactly, the computer with the problem canot boot so the instructions
origionally given are useless.
so that makes you the

M O R O N.

(e-mail address removed)

Oh, of course. They have computers there but they don't allow anyone to
print anything. Ever.

Moron.
PUBLIC LIBRARY.

(e-mail address removed)

We don't know the experience of the OP, but since they did in fact
post a message at all indicates that they have internet access of some
kind--they couldn't have posted it from their PC if their PC will not boot,
correct? Your entire point is that their computer can't boot, so it can't
get online. Tell me how they could have posted to a newsgroup if they can't
get online.

if it were not for mvp web sites with the canned answers , it
would be totally lost in providing help.

if only more people could learn that they can also search the ms
kb and or the appropriate mvp web sites, it would make things easier.

(e-mail address removed)

Mikey:

The original poster obviously has access to the internet
somehow (a secondary box, at work, etc) or he would not have been able to go
onto an internet newsgroup and post a request for help. How do you think he
posted his request? Do you think he closed his eyes and wished the post to
appear here?

Since he clearly has access to the internet from a computer
other than the one he's having problems with, then he could use that same
access to visit a couple of websites for assistance. You may even be able
to stretch your tiny mind far enough to assume he may also have a printer in
which to print off said websites for offline viewing.

Advice does not have to be read on the affected machine in
order for it to be effective. Bob's post to you was 100% accurate, and your
desperate attempts to make it seem like it wasn't only makes you look more
the fool.
does not make any difference. the computer in question will
not boot, so it cannot go on line for diagnostic help.

my favorite is someone who apparently from posting is not
computer literate and is told to remove hard drive and install in external
box.

that's what comes from trying to be first to answer and using
canned answers instead of attempting to tailor the answer to the poster.

(e-mail address removed)

Humm, you're pretty caustic. Perhaps the OP will use the
same method to

Ask a Question