Windows Vista Windows Live Messenger

Reaction score
I cannot open windows live messenger i keep getting this error message..

C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe

The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail

and on event viewer it comes up with this

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC90.CRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.21022.8" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

I have installed, unistalled reinstalled and updated microsoft visual C++ 2008 many times and iv unistalled and reinstalled windows live messenger and still no luck

If anyone can help me or got any ideas feel free to say (im a bit of a noob so you got to explain stuff to me lol)

btw this is on Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit) SP2 with all updates

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You could try uninstalling VC++, uninstall messenger, then install messenger followed by VC++ in that order. Does that work for you, or have you already tried it? I've done lots of searching and can't find a definitive answer to this problem, but that order has worked for other users.

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
You could try uninstalling VC++, uninstall messenger, then install messenger followed by VC++ in that order. Does that work for you, or have you already tried it? I've done lots of searching and can't find a definitive answer to this problem, but that order has worked for other users.

Vtecpower, follow Ians way.....I had the same problem last week, although I am on Windows 7, but I found help by first removing VC ++ 2005 and the VC ++ 2008 then removed WLM. Also when I deleted WLM I went into Program files etc and removed all folders that had anything to do with WLM
Then downloaded WLM and VC ++ 2008 through auto updates. Haven't had the problem since..

Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
Vtecpower, follow Ians way.....I had the same problem last week, although I am on Windows 7, but I found help by first removing VC ++ 2005 and the VC ++ 2008 then removed WLM. Also when I deleted WLM I went into Program files etc and removed all folders that had anything to do with WLM
Then downloaded WLM and VC ++ 2008 through auto updates. Haven't had the problem since..

tried then still doesnt work :confused: :mad: thanks for the quick reply

Ask a Question