Windows Installer 4.0 - Stupid Question?

Vincent

I would like to utilize the Windows Installer to build a setup package
for my Windows Vista application. From what I have read, version 4.0
of the Windows Installer ships with Vista. How do I access this
program? I've found lots of documentation about the Windows
Installer, but none that tell me how to access it. Thanks.

Vincent

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
You can start with this documentation:

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> From: Vincent <[email protected]>
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|> Subject: Windows Installer 4.0 - Stupid Question?
|> Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 16:37:50 -0700
|>
|> I would like to utilize the Windows Installer to build a setup package
|> for my Windows Vista application. From what I have read, version 4.0
|> of the Windows Installer ships with Vista. How do I access this
|> program? I've found lots of documentation about the Windows
|> Installer, but none that tell me how to access it. Thanks.
|>
|> Vincent

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
You can start with this documentation:

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> From: Vincent <[email protected]>
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|> Subject: Windows Installer 4.0 - Stupid Question?
|> Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 16:37:50 -0700
|>
|> I would like to utilize the Windows Installer to build a setup package
|> for my Windows Vista application. From what I have read, version 4.0
|> of the Windows Installer ships with Vista. How do I access this
|> program? I've found lots of documentation about the Windows
|> Installer, but none that tell me how to access it. Thanks.
|>
|> Vincent

Richard G. Harper

The Windows Installer package that comes with Vista (or any version of
Windows) is not the same as a "packager", which is what you're looking for.
A packager is used to build an installation package that can then be
installed on the PC.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] (e-mail address removed)

Vincent

* NEW! Catch my blog ...http://msmvps.com/blogs/rgharper/
* The Website -http://rgharper.mvps.org/
* HELP us help YOU ...http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

I would like to utilize the Windows Installer to build a setup package
for my Windows Vista application. From what I have read, version 4.0
of the Windows Installer ships with Vista. How do I access this
program? I've found lots of documentation about the Windows
Installer, but none that tell me how to access it. Thanks.

Does Microsoft provide any sort of free packager?

Vincent

Richard G. Harper

No. There used to be (and may yet still be) a freebie from WinInstall but
it dates back to Windows 2000 and is probably not available any longer.
Nope, it's not available any longer since the company was bought out by
AttachMate. You might search for a copy of WinInstall LE - this was the
freebie package and may still be out there somewhere.