Windows Explorer file copy

Bob L

My wife and I have our computers connected through a wireless home network.
She stores her data files in a single directory with many subdirectories,
each subdirectory representing a separate work project. Periodically I use
Windows Explorer to copy her directory over to my computer in order to back
up her files. I would prefer to only copy files that are new or changed.
Instead, Windows Explorer seems to force me to copy all the files and
overwrite all of the existing files.

Is there a way to set Windows Explorer up to copy only new and changed
files?

Malke

Bob said:
My wife and I have our computers connected through a wireless home
network. She stores her data files in a single directory with many
subdirectories,
each subdirectory representing a separate work project. Periodically
I use Windows Explorer to copy her directory over to my computer in
order to back
up her files. I would prefer to only copy files that are new or
changed. Instead, Windows Explorer seems to force me to copy all the
files and overwrite all of the existing files.

Is there a way to set Windows Explorer up to copy only new and changed
files?

Not natively, but there is a really good inexpensive backup program
called SecondCopy that will do exactly what you want. I've used it for
years on clients' machines. Get it from www.centered.com.

Malke

Mike Williams

Bob said:
My wife and I have our computers connected through a wireless home network.
She stores her data files in a single directory with many subdirectories,
each subdirectory representing a separate work project. Periodically I use
Windows Explorer to copy her directory over to my computer in order to back
up her files. I would prefer to only copy files that are new or changed.
Instead, Windows Explorer seems to force me to copy all the files and
overwrite all of the existing files.

Is there a way to set Windows Explorer up to copy only new and changed
files?
Get Robocopy command line utility and create a batch file.

George Hester

Would xcopy /-U work?

--

George Hester
_________________________________
"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Type cmd in Start Run then
xcopy /?
in cmd.

David Candy

No.

One backs up the folder however they are doing it now.

One then types

attrib /s -a c:\whereever\*.*

This sets it up.

Then type whenever you want

xcopy /m /e "c:\whereever\*.*" "d:\somewhereelse\*.*"