Windows emergency CD suggestions

Sascha Wostmann

Hi,

I'm planning to set up an emergency CD (or USB memory stick) with
useful tools for Windows (mainly 98 and 2000) emergency cases. It
doesn't have to be bootable, all I want to be able is to clean up a
possibly virus-infected or otherwise unuseable system.

what do you suggest to be on that CD? The software should be startable
without installation on the target PC!

I thought about the following:
- Virus Scanner (which one works right from CD? what about
the Definition files?)
- Spybot S&D
- HijackThis
- Startup-Manager (scan registry etc. for startup entries)
- some system tools from sysinternals.com (Filemon, Regmon,
Task-Viewer, TCPView, TDIMon, ...)

what else do I need?

Thanks for your help

Viele Grüße,
Sascha

Harry Bloomfield

[...]

Take a look at the Ultimate Boot CD ROM. You can add whatever
additional utilities you like to that, but it is a very good starting
point for all operating systems and file systems.

safesurfer

Hi,

I'm planning to set up an emergency CD (or USB memory stick) with
useful tools for Windows (mainly 98 and 2000) emergency cases. It
doesn't have to be bootable, all I want to be able is to clean up a
possibly virus-infected or otherwise unuseable system.

what do you suggest to be on that CD? The software should be startable
without installation on the target PC!

I thought about the following:
- Virus Scanner (which one works right from CD? what about
the Definition files?)
- Spybot S&D
- HijackThis
- Startup-Manager (scan registry etc. for startup entries)
- some system tools from sysinternals.com (Filemon, Regmon,
Task-Viewer, TCPView, TDIMon, ...)

what else do I need?

Take a look at Fred Langa's suggestions for this
http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=10700681

Chris Lee

Take a look at the Ultimate Boot CD ROM. You can add whatever
additional utilities you like to that, but it is a very good
starting
point for all operating systems and file systems.

One thing that's bothered me about the Ultimate Boot CD ROM is that
have they asked Maxtor or anyone else for that matter for permission
to place their software on the cdrom?

If they have I sure haven't seen it mentioned anywhere on the WWW site.

A lot of the stuff on that cdrom doesn't exactly seem to be in the
public domain. And I can easily see the people behind the Ultimate Boot CD ROM
getting into a world of legal hurt because of it.

CHarneyCHRIS

Subject: Re: Windows emergency CD suggestions
From: Chris Lee (e-mail address removed)
Date: 27/01/2004 2:55 AM E. Australia Standard Time

Take a look at the Ultimate Boot CD ROM. You can add whatever
additional utilities you like to that, but it is a very good
starting
point for all operating systems and file systems.

One thing that's bothered me about the Ultimate Boot CD ROM is that
have they asked Maxtor or anyone else for that matter for permission
to place their software on the cdrom?

If they have I sure haven't seen it mentioned anywhere on the WWW site.

A lot of the stuff on that cdrom doesn't exactly seem to be in the
public domain. And I can easily see the people behind the Ultimate Boot CD ROM
getting into a world of legal hurt because of it.

what about barts winPE http://nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Chris Lee

From a quick glance at the WWW site, it looks ok. It doesn't seem
to be fooling around with diskimages of other people's copyrighted
software.

I'ld say you're pretty safe going with barts winPE as long as you
don't put anything on it that has a hint of a commerical copyright
on it.

Bjorn Simonsen

CHarneyCHRIS wrote in
Take a look at the Ultimate Boot CD ROM
[...]
A lot of the stuff on that cdrom doesn't exactly seem to be in the
public domain. And I can easily see the people behind the Ultimate
Boot CD ROM getting into a world of legal hurt because of it.

Another approach to this is the one used by <http://www.911cd.net/>.
There you'll find a program (builder) to help you build a cd - with
option to integrate several programs on your own, both free and
commercial ones. The list of programs and drivers etc that comes with
the builder can be seen here <http://www.911cd.net/modules/>. For the
ones you can possible prepare and add (to the util directory before
running the builder), see <http://www.911cd.net/911cd/utils_list/>.
The list is long, the free ones you can download from their original
websites and ad as you please, the shareware/commercial ones you will
need to own and/or have the right to use if you want to add them. So -
if you include something you do not have the right to use, the
responsibility is yours only. Btw the site also offer a web forum
<http://www.911cd.net/forums/> where one can get help if needed.

All the best,
Bjorn Simonsen

Sascha Wostmann

CHarneyCHRIS :

great piece of software! Did save my day today when a collegue managed
to almost destroy his XP installation...

Neither Knoppix nor any other linux-based tools were able to repair
the system (or I wasn't able to figure out how).

Viele Grüße,
Sascha