Windows Defender

Reaction score
EVERY TIME I TRY TO GET INTO WINDOWS DEFENDER I KEEP GETTING AN ERROR MESSAGE , "APPLICATION FAILED TO INITIALIZE: 0X80070006. THE HANDLE IS INVALID." I TRIED EVERYTHING , I EVEN TRIED TO REINSTALL THE WINDOWS DEFENDER. MY COMPUTER IS A GATEWAY , I JUST BOUGHT IT ABOUT TWO MONTHS AGO, I HAVE WINDOWS VISTA, I USE TREND MICRO ANTI-VIRUS AND I ALSO HAVE WEBROOT SPY SWEEPER. WHEN I BOUGHT THE COMPUTER I HAD GEEK SQUAD INSTALL THESE PROGRAMS AND A FEW OTHERS BUT MY COMPUTER WAS GIVING ME SOME PROBLEMS SO I TOOK IT BACK AND EXCHANGED IT FOR FOR A NEW ONE SO THEY DID THE SAME THINGS TO IT BUT THIS TIME THEY TOLD ME THAT MY WINDOWS DEFENDER WOULD BE TURNED OFF. I DIDNT SAY MUCH BECAUSE IM STILL NEW TO ALL THIS COMPUTER STUFF BUT THEY TOLD ME THAT I WOULDNT NEED TO WORRY ABOUT IT BECAUSE I HAVE SPY SWEEPER. BUT I NOW WANT TO REMOVE A COUPLE OF PROGRAMS FROM RUNNING AT START UP BUT THE ONLY WAY TO DO THIS IS THROUGH WINDOWS DEFENDER. PLEASE HELP ME , IVE BEEN TRYING TO FIX THIS FOR DAYS. THANK YOU.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Just for future note, would not not type in all capitals please, as it makes it harder to read.

You can stop applications from running on startup by running "msconfig.exe" if you need to.

To fix the windows defender error you may be able to follow the steps on the page below... however please note that changing the registry can cause even more problems with your computer if something goes wrong. So only do it if you feel confident and have backups made:

http://forums.microsoft.com/technet...3&siteid=17&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=1

Reaction score
still need help with the windows defender, PLEASE HELP!!!

Ian Cunningham said:
Just for future note, would not not type in all capitals please, as it makes it harder to read.

You can stop applications from running on startup by running "msconfig.exe" if you need to.

To fix the windows defender error you may be able to follow the steps on the page below... however please note that changing the registry can cause even more problems with your computer if something goes wrong. So only do it if you feel confident and have backups made:

http://forums.microsoft.com/technet...3&siteid=17&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=1
I tried all the suggestions that you guys gave me and the link that i was given didnt work and i even went to trend to find a patch but i didnt know where to look i even tried to uninstall update k931099 and that didnt work either if anything now i cant reinstall update k931099 the guy said that i would be able to, but no dice. So now i ask again , can someone please help me?!! Its going on day #3 without no sleep, my kids are even mad at me because i havent gotten off the computer.please someone help, thank you dinkks6, oh yeah by the way i did also go to "ms.config.exe" and i took off most of the programs from the start up section, i just wanted to know if by me doing that ,"will it effect those programs in any way?" (because i thought that i read that it will effect the programs)i think that i read it in the help and support and if not i could take off the rest of them, thanks again!!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Problems with defender

I had problems with my Windows Defender a while back ago, so what I did, is simply remove all traces of it on my computer and then restart your computer, then re-install it again. I did that and mine started working fine! If that doesn't work, then I suggest you contact Microsoft, like I did and advise them of the problem. They were very helpful with getting my Defender to work. Good luck!

Ask a Question