Windows Defender Question

Andy

Gooday, I've been an long time XP guy and about two months ago bought a new
system with Vista Home Premium. Today, feeling far more confident and able,
I wanted to enable real-time protection for Windows Defender in addition to
scheduled scans.

According to the "Help" file, you select Tools -> Options and then you
"Enable Real-Time" protection. No such option is available.

I then thought that I was (and probably am) a putz, so I went to the MS
Defender web site, and the same instructions are there. In fact, it shows a
pic of a Vertical Menu bar to the left where one is to tick or enable this
feature.

Still nada, so thinking I need an update, I tried to download Windows
Defender from that site, and low and behold, it tells me that it is included
in Vista. That's good.

So, how do I enable "Real-Time Protection"?

Thanks.

webster72n

Andy said:
Gooday, I've been an long time XP guy and about two months ago bought a
new system with Vista Home Premium. Today, feeling far more confident and
able, I wanted to enable real-time protection for Windows Defender in
addition to scheduled scans.

According to the "Help" file, you select Tools -> Options and then you
"Enable Real-Time" protection. No such option is available.

I then thought that I was (and probably am) a putz, so I went to the MS
Defender web site, and the same instructions are there. In fact, it shows
a pic of a Vertical Menu bar to the left where one is to tick or enable
this feature.

Still nada, so thinking I need an update, I tried to download Windows
Defender from that site, and low and behold, it tells me that it is
included in Vista. That's good.

So, how do I enable "Real-Time Protection"?

Start>Control Panel>Windows Defender> and its all yours'.

Harry.

Gene E. Bloch

[...]

In addition to the other advice, you could also try the newer and reputedly
better substitute for Windows Defender, Windows Security Essentials,
available somewhere on Microsoft's site (I forget where, but it's
searchable).

Andy

Hmmm, I changed to Classic view and I do this:
Select: Tools -> Options: then I get:

Check Box (Auto scan) drop downs,
Check Box -> Check for updates,
Check Box -> Type

Then below that I have Default Actions.

This is the same interface regardless of the Control Panel View Mode.

I must be missing something...

Thanks.

Andy

That is correct. I have absolutely nothing below "Low Alert Items".

I've logged in as Administrator and same thing.

This is a "Pre-canned" HP version. Would that have something to do with it?

Thanks.

Andy

Thanks Gene, I actually have WSE on an XP machine and it's ok, but is a
recall hog on recourses and it's missed a few Trojans that others have
found.

Also, I understand that it is a Malware and Malicious software removal and
scanner tool.

In fact, I have a "Test" virus file that I use on machines to confirm virus
scanning and irradiation abilities. WSE missed it.

I could be wrong, but that was my finding.

I'm ok in terms of protection as I use Avast and Malware Bytes. I was just
hoping to use the "Built-in Capabilities".

Thank you for your help and suggestions.

Cheers.

webster72n

Andy said:
Thanks Gene, I actually have WSE on an XP machine and it's ok, but is a
recall hog on recourses and it's missed a few Trojans that others have
found.

Also, I understand that it is a Malware and Malicious software removal and
scanner tool.

In fact, I have a "Test" virus file that I use on machines to confirm
virus scanning and irradiation abilities. WSE missed it.

I could be wrong, but that was my finding.

I'm ok in terms of protection as I use Avast and Malware Bytes. I was just
hoping to use the "Built-in Capabilities".

Thank you for your help and suggestions.

Does that mean you still can't operate your Windows Defender, Andy?
If so, the program didn't install properly and you may want to do a fix with
the help of the 'F8' key.
Or you can use your disk, IOW it should be operational.
I myself use Avast and Malwarebytes besides the Windows Defender and all
three of them work nicely together.

R. C. White

Hi, Gene.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Another user just informed me that I'm posting in HTML, since installing the
Wave 4 beta. I THINK I've now switched back to Plain Text but haven't
confirmed yet that the switch is working.

Maybe the HTML/Plain Text toggle is affecting my Sig and quoting. I've been
doing it the same way for years - at least, until Wave 4 - and haven't heard
such complaints before.

RC

--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Gene E. Bloch" wrote in message

Yes, I've been using it for a month or two, ever since I got too annoyed at
Norton :)

BTW, you seem to be putting your quoted text below the signature delimiter
("-- " followed by a newline), which tends to mess up the quoting.

No - not "tends to" - *does* mess up the quoting.

Gene E. Bloch

Hi, Gene.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Another user just informed me that I'm posting in HTML, since installing the
Wave 4 beta. I THINK I've now switched back to Plain Text but haven't
confirmed yet that the switch is working.

Maybe the HTML/Plain Text toggle is affecting my Sig and quoting. I've been
doing it the same way for years - at least, until Wave 4 - and haven't heard
such complaints before.

RC

I looked at the raw source of this post and your previous one. The earlier
one shows HTML, but I don't see any evidence of HTML in this post. Your
quoted text is still below your sig delimiter, but it seems not to have
suppressed any earlier quoted test this time.

I am not an expert on this issue, so I'll quietly go away now :)

Andy

Yes sir she is up to date. I just checked the Update Site and all is well.

I have three other laptops that are identical, we both 4 altogether.
Interestingly enough, two of them have all the Defender features available,
while this one and another do not.

We're going to begin an investigation to see what is different between them

I'll try to remember to update this post :)

Thanks.

Andy

Hi Gene, I responded to a post by Dave-UK. Please read them for comments.

And as well, I use Avast and Malware bytes. I did run a scan using Defender
and everything came up clean, and the updates seem to be installing fine (I
ran my network scanner/data capture app) and watched a manual update take
place. So that is all good.

I'm thinking something from the Factory Install probably burped a little. I
do not get any Warnings/Errors in the Event Log, so that is comforting. I
also put a Test Virus on my system and Defender found it (I had to cripple
MalwareBytes and Avast temporarily).

Would it hurt to re-install SP2??? Perhaps that may fix it (if indeed it is
broken - which I doubt).

So on I go...

Have a happy July fourth all, we are celebrating our July 1st Canada Day.

Cheers :)

rob

That is correct. I have absolutely nothing below "Low Alert Items".

I've logged in as Administrator and same thing.

This is a "Pre-canned" HP version. Would that have something to do with it?

Thanks.

Hi Andy,

My Options window looks like Dave's. Don't miss that scroll bar at the
right edge. Only about 1/3 of "all" the options are visible at once.
Just in case, lol.

Gene E. Bloch

Pretty confusing threading.

I reiterate my suggestion: D/L and install Microsoft Security Essentials.
Probably you should uninstall Defender before, not after, installing the
other to avoid conflicts during installation.

Ken Blake, MVP

I reiterate my suggestion: D/L and install Microsoft Security Essentials.
Probably you should uninstall Defender before, not after, installing the
other to avoid conflicts during installation.

It doesn't hurt to do what you suggest, but it's not necessary. If you
install Microsoft Security Essentials, it will turn off Defender for
you.

Andy

OH for God's sakes. I didn't even see that scroll bar!!!

Thanks Rob and Cheers...

I guess these old eyes need an exam.