Windows 2000 Help scripting error

Michel Merlin

On my Windows 2000 SP4 US Laptop, in Windows Help, when I click
a link to another part of Help, I get a scripting error, which
prevents me from getting any further.

For instance, Start \Help \Contents \Hardware \Hardware
overview: if I click the Modems" link, I get:
|_______________________________________________________________

| ! An error has occurred in the script on this page.
|
| Line: 443
| Char: 9
| Error: Object doesn't support this property or method
| Code: 0
| ms-its:C:\WINDOWS\Help\hardware.chm::/hardware_overview.htm
|
| Do you want to continue running scripts on this page?

| | Yes | | No |
|_______________________________________________________________

The numbers and the URLs may vary, but the "Error" seems always
the same: "Object doesn't support this property or method".

I have not this problem on another PC that also has Windows 2000
SP4 US, and that is kept up to date the same way - but is more
recent: the laptop was bought in Jul 1999 with W98SE FR, updated
to W98SE US then to W2K US then to SP1, SP2, SP3, SP4, and is
heavily used everyday; while the desktop was bought in Jul 2002
and immediately built with W2K US, and is less used.

Any idea? TIA,

Paris, Wed 4 Aug 2004 15:38:00 +0200

Dave Patrick

This link may help.

http://groups.google.com/[email protected]#link2

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| On my Windows 2000 SP4 US Laptop, in Windows Help, when I click
| a link to another part of Help, I get a scripting error, which
| prevents me from getting any further.
|
| For instance, Start \Help \Contents \Hardware \Hardware
| overview: if I click the Modems" link, I get:
| ________________________________________________________________
| | Internet Explorer Script Error
| |_______________________________________________________________
| |
| | ! An error has occurred in the script on this page.
| |
| | Line: 443
| | Char: 9
| | Error: Object doesn't support this property or method
| | Code: 0
| | ms-its:C:\WINDOWS\Help\hardware.chm::/hardware_overview.htm
| |
| | Do you want to continue running scripts on this page?
| |
| | | Yes | | No |
| |_______________________________________________________________
|
| The numbers and the URLs may vary, but the "Error" seems always
| the same: "Object doesn't support this property or method".
|
| I have not this problem on another PC that also has Windows 2000
| SP4 US, and that is kept up to date the same way - but is more
| recent: the laptop was bought in Jul 1999 with W98SE FR, updated
| to W98SE US then to W2K US then to SP1, SP2, SP3, SP4, and is
| heavily used everyday; while the desktop was bought in Jul 2002
| and immediately built with W2K US, and is less used.
|
| Any idea? TIA,
|
| Paris, Wed 4 Aug 2004 15:38:00 +0200

Michel Merlin

Thanks for the quick reply. It worked great! However I first got
some little roadblocks so I detail to save time to others.

A - I resume the advice:

1. install Service Pack 4 (SP4) for Windows 2000
2. install Critical Update 811630
3. unregister and then re-register the HTML Help ActiveX
control:
regsvr32 /u C:\winnt\system32\hhctrl.ocx
regsvr32 C:\winnt\system32\hhctrl.ocx

B - Applying:
1. My system is already SP4.
2. That CU 811630 is « 811630 HTML Help Update to Limit
Functionality When It Is Invoked with the window.showHelp( )
Method » ( http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811630 ). I
remember it is probably the only update I refused because I
didn't want to limit the functionalities of my IE. In addition
my system is IE6SP0 (I mean, I uninstalled IE6SP1 whose flaws
were annoying to me). That makes 2 peculiarities on my system.

Today when trying to apply that CU 811630, I got:
|________________________________________________________
| Setup has detected that the Service Pack version
| X of the system installed is newer than the update
| you are applying to it.
|
| You can only install this update on Service Pack 3.
| | OK |
|________________________________________________________

3. So I tried to go direct to the unregistration/reregistration
of hhctrl.ocx .

When trying regsvr32 /u C:\winnt\system32\hhctrl.ocx I got an
error: "The specified module could not be found"
and realized I had to change WINNT with WINDOWS
(since my system was built by upgrading from W98SE). After that
the unregistration/reregistration went OK.

Now my Help works!

Thanks a lot.

Paris, Wed 4 Aug 2004 20:12:15 +0200

Message: Sent: Wed 4 Aug 2004 07:54:08 -0600
(Paris Wed 04 Aug 2004 15:54:08 +0200)
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 Help scripting error

This link may help.

http://groups.google.com/[email protected]#link2

Message: Sent: Wed 4 Aug 2004 15:38:00 +0200
Subject: Windows 2000 Help scripting error

On my Windows 2000 SP4 US Laptop, in Windows Help, when I click
a link to another part of Help, I get a scripting error, which
prevents me from getting any further.

For instance, Start \Help \Contents \Hardware \Hardware
overview: if I click the Modems" link, I get:
| Internet Explorer Script Error
|_______________________________________________________________

| ! An error has occurred in the script on this page.
|
| Line: 443
| Char: 9
| Error: Object doesn't support this property or method
| Code: 0
| ms-its:C:\WINDOWS\Help\hardware.chm::/hardware_overview.htm
|
| Do you want to continue running scripts on this page?

| | Yes | | No |
|_______________________________________________________________

The numbers and the URLs may vary, but the "Error" seems always
the same: "Object doesn't support this property or method".

I have not this problem on another PC that also has Windows 2000
SP4 US, and that is kept up to date the same way - but is more
recent: the laptop was bought in Jul 1999 with W98SE FR, updated
to W98SE US then to W2K US then to SP1, SP2, SP3, SP4, and is
heavily used everyday; while the desktop was bought in Jul 2002
and immediately built with W2K US, and is less used.

Any idea? TIA,

Paris, Wed 4 Aug 2004 15:38:00 +0200

Dave Patrick

OK thanks for letting us know.

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| Thanks for the quick reply. It worked great! However I first got
| some little roadblocks so I detail to save time to others.
|
| A - I resume the advice:
|
| 1. install Service Pack 4 (SP4) for Windows 2000
| 2. install Critical Update 811630
| 3. unregister and then re-register the HTML Help ActiveX
| control:
| regsvr32 /u C:\winnt\system32\hhctrl.ocx
| regsvr32 C:\winnt\system32\hhctrl.ocx
|
| B - Applying:
| 1. My system is already SP4.
| 2. That CU 811630 is « 811630 HTML Help Update to Limit
| Functionality When It Is Invoked with the window.showHelp( )
| Method » ( http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811630 ). I
| remember it is probably the only update I refused because I
| didn't want to limit the functionalities of my IE. In addition
| my system is IE6SP0 (I mean, I uninstalled IE6SP1 whose flaws
| were annoying to me). That makes 2 peculiarities on my system.
|
| Today when trying to apply that CU 811630, I got:
| | Q811630 Setup Error
| | Setup has detected that the Service Pack version
| | X of the system installed is newer than the update
| | you are applying to it.
| |