Win2K Workstation invisible on home network

G

I have a workgroup at home named Toys running through a switch and subnet of 192.168.0.x 255.255.255.0. Computers are assigned reserved IP addresses by DHCP on switch. All computers can access the Internet without issue. All computers have File&Print Sharing, every computer has at least one share. all have Client for MS Networks running. All use TCP/IP protocol exclusively.

Members are:
1) Win2KPro SP4 named LSA, hardwired, can ping all machines, only sees itself when browsing or in network neighborhood. Can map network drives to shares on network.
2) 2nd Win2kPro SP4 named BLA, hardwired, can see all machines on network neighborhood but can not connect to LSA. Can't ping LSA.
3) Win98SE named BLON, hardwired, can see all machines on network neighborhood but can not connect to LSA. Can't ping LSA.
4) XP Pro SP1 named DAD, wireless, can see all machines on network neighborhood but can not connect to LSA. Can't ping LSA.

I have:
1) Uninstalled and reinstalled the network card on LSA
2) Install a second network card on LSA
3) Done a repair of Win2K
4) Checked that LSA doesnt have a firewall running on it.

Help would be most welcome. My last resort is rebuild the computer which is tedious.

D

Doug Sherman [MVP]

The XP and Win2k machines must have user accounts which duplicate the user
name/password on all other machines.

Doug Sherman
MCSE Win2k/NT4.0, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

ITfirefighter said:
I have a workgroup at home named Toys running through a switch and subnet
of 192.168.0.x 255.255.255.0. Computers are assigned reserved IP addresses
by DHCP on switch. All computers can access the Internet without issue. All
computers have File&Print Sharing, every computer has at least one share.
all have Client for MS Networks running. All use TCP/IP protocol
exclusively.
Members are:
1) Win2KPro SP4 named LSA, hardwired, can ping all machines, only sees
itself when browsing or in network neighborhood. Can map network drives to
shares on network.
2) 2nd Win2kPro SP4 named BLA, hardwired, can see all machines on network
neighborhood but can not connect to LSA. Can't ping LSA.
3) Win98SE named BLON, hardwired, can see all machines on network
4) XP Pro SP1 named DAD, wireless, can see all machines on network
I have:

Help would be most welcome. My last resort is rebuild the computer which
is tedious.

G

I reviewed and verified that all Win2K and XP systems have logings/passwords that match for each other. Still no luck.
What puzzles me is that I can ping out from LSA, but I cant 'ping LSA' (host LSA is recognized and interpreted as 192.168.0.10) or 'ping 192.168.0.10'. Both attempts time out.
The network browser can see LSA but gives the following 'Microsoft Networking Error: The server LSA could not be found on the network' when I double click on the icon in the browser.

S

Steven L Umbach

When you pinged the machines, always try their IP address in addition to using the
name if you have not done such. Make sure you do not have IP filtering enabled on the
adapter in tcp/ip properties/advanced/options - tcp/ip filtering. Verify that it is
on the same network/subnet mask as the other computers as shown with ipconfig/ all
and try booting into safe mode with networking to see if that makes a difference and
if it does you have a startup application/service blocking inbound traffic. -- Steve

ITfirefighter said:
I have a workgroup at home named Toys running through a switch and subnet of
192.168.0.x 255.255.255.0. Computers are assigned reserved IP addresses by DHCP on
switch. All computers can access the Internet without issue. All computers have
File&Print Sharing, every computer has at least one share. all have Client for MS
Networks running. All use TCP/IP protocol exclusively.
Members are:
1) Win2KPro SP4 named LSA, hardwired, can ping all machines, only sees itself when
browsing or in network neighborhood. Can map network drives to shares on network.
2) 2nd Win2kPro SP4 named BLA, hardwired, can see all machines on network
3) Win98SE named BLON, hardwired, can see all machines on network neighborhood but
can not connect to LSA. Can't ping LSA.
4) XP Pro SP1 named DAD, wireless, can see all machines on network neighborhood but
can not connect to LSA. Can't ping LSA.
I have:

Help would be most welcome. My last resort is rebuild the computer which is
tedious.

G

YES!!! YES!!! YES!!!

Steven, first your tip to check the tcp/ip filtering help me locate a typo on my NIC setup.
Then second and more importantly, you said to test the system in 'Safe Mode with Networking' and that brought the breakthrough. I was finally able to ping by name and IP and see all the shares. I then systematically either removed software or turned of services of the most likely culprits. ( I am now in the process of adding back). And LSA is still fully visible.

I say thank you, thank you thank you! I have been banging my head for at least 6 months with this problem. Have a great weekend.

Martin

S

Steven L Umbach

All right! Glad you made progress. Just so you know, you can use msconfig from XP box
to selectively disable startup applications/services for troubleshooting. You can
also download it from the internet. --- Steve

http://www.perfectdrivers.com/howto/msconfig.html

ITfirefighter said:
YES!!! YES!!! YES!!!

Steven, first your tip to check the tcp/ip filtering help me locate a typo on my NIC setup.
Then second and more importantly, you said to test the system in 'Safe Mode with
Networking' and that brought the breakthrough. I was finally able to ping by name and
IP and see all the shares. I then systematically either removed software or turned of
services of the most likely culprits. ( I am now in the process of adding back). And
LSA is still fully visible.
I say thank you, thank you thank you! I have been banging my head for at least 6
months with this problem. Have a great weekend.

G

Thanks, that looks like a great site.

Steven L Umbach said:
All right! Glad you made progress. Just so you know, you can use msconfig from XP box
to selectively disable startup applications/services for troubleshooting. You can
also download it from the internet. --- Steve

http://www.perfectdrivers.com/howto/msconfig.html

Networking' and that brought the breakthrough. I was finally able to ping by name and
IP and see all the shares. I then systematically either removed software or turned of
services of the most likely culprits. ( I am now in the process of adding back). And
LSA is still fully visible.
months with this problem. Have a great weekend.

Ask a Question