Win2k Could Not Start...Ntoskrnl.exe

Roberto

Hi all,
my OS is Win2k + sp3. One day I double click the Services manager
shortcut
but the Performance Monitor comes out, the same for Event Viewer,
Computer management etc., I feel maybe there are some problems with
the system, then I reboot the OS. After the server boot up I got a
error said that:

Windows NT could not start because the following file is missing or
corrupt:
Winnt_root\System32\Ntoskrnl.exe
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

I haven't modified the boot.ini and did not change or reformat the
partitions before, no defrag, no expansion of swap file.
So I use the Win2K CD to boot up, then try to repair the system, I
could log
in the console command mode, I found the ntoskrnl.exe is in the
\system32
directory, I renamed the file and copied another one from another
healthy
Win2k server. But I still got the same error.
The computer is a new server (Compaq Proliant ML570).
I know about limitation of 7.8 GB for the system partition for WinNT,
but I know that this limitation is no more true for Win2K

Anyone met the same case as mine? Anyone have any idea about it?

Pegasus \(MVP\)

error said that:

[...]

Your machine might be infected with a virus. Try an
in-place upgrade like so:

- Boot your machine with your Win2000 CD.
- When prompted, select "Install", not "Repair".
- When prompted again, select "Repair", and
allow the process to go over your existing installation.
- Re-apply the latest Service Pack.

Alex Zhang

Hello,

Thank you for posting here.

This behavior can occur if any of the following conditions exist:

1. The Default value in the [Boot Loader] section of the Boot.ini file is
missing or invalid.

2. Windows NT is not installed in the location specified in the Boot.ini
file.

NOTE: This issue can also occur in Windows NT 4.0 and 3.5 if the system
partition is larger than 7.8 gigabytes and system boot files have be placed
outside of the 7.8 GB limit (possibly as a result of applying a service
pack or defragmenting the drive). Windows XP does not have this limitation.
This is a hardware limitation and occurs independently of the operating
system. This should not be an issue on newer computer if their BIOS
supports INT13 Extensions and this feature is turned on, which it is by
default.

You can use three methods to resolve this problem. For detailed information
you may browse the following web site:
Err Msg: Windows NT Could Not Start...Ntoskrnl.exe
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=124550

I hope the information proves helpful!
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to let me know. I am glad
to be of assistance.
Thanks and regards,
Alex Zhang
Microsoft Partner Online Support

| From: "Pegasus \(MVP\)" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Win2k Could Not Start...Ntoskrnl.exe
| Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 07:58:03 +1000
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
|

| | > Hi all,
| > my OS is Win2k + sp3. One day I double click the Services manager
| > shortcut
| > but the Performance Monitor comes out, the same for Event Viewer,
| > Computer management etc., I feel maybe there are some problems with
| > the system, then I reboot the OS. After the server boot up I got a
| > error said that:
| >
| > Windows NT could not start because the following file is missing or
| > corrupt:
| > Winnt_root\System32\Ntoskrnl.exe
| > Please re-install a copy of the above file.
| >
| > I haven't modified the boot.ini and did not change or reformat the
| > partitions before, no defrag, no expansion of swap file.
| > So I use the Win2K CD to boot up, then try to repair the system, I
| > could log
| > in the console command mode, I found the ntoskrnl.exe is in the
| > \system32
| > directory, I renamed the file and copied another one from another
| > healthy
| > Win2k server. But I still got the same error.
| > The computer is a new server (Compaq Proliant ML570).
| > I know about limitation of 7.8 GB for the system partition for WinNT,
| > but I know that this limitation is no more true for Win2K
| >
| > Anyone met the same case as mine? Anyone have any idea about it?
|
| Your machine might be infected with a virus. Try an
| in-place upgrade like so:
|
| - Boot your machine with your Win2000 CD.
| - When prompted, select "Install", not "Repair".
| - When prompted again, select "Repair", and
| allow the process to go over your existing installation.
| - Re-apply the latest Service Pack.

Roberto

Ok, maybe is a virus, but what virus?
Norton AV was present on the machine and, before reboot, I have
scanned again with another av, eTrust, but it don't found anything.

Are you sure that the problem was caused by a virus?
tx, rob

Pegasus \(MVP\)

As Alex wrote, the file c:\boot.ini may be missing or corrupted.
Here is how you can look at it:
- Boot the machine with a Win98 boot disk from www.bootdisk.com.
- Type this command:
ntfsdos /L:EFG
ntfsdos.exe is available at www.sysinternals.com.
- Type this command:
type c:\boot.ini

What do you see?

Alex Zhang

Hello,

Just checking in to see if the suggestions were helpful.

If you have any other issues, please feel free to let me know. I am glad to
be of assistance.

Have a nice weekend!

Get Secure! - <www.microsoft.com/security>