win2k client not being able to reach dhcp server in router

I have 2 comps both running win2k pro. One is connectd to
the linksys broadband router+AP and the other is connected
to the Wireless network adaptor (linksys). I have enabled
DHCP on the router.

The one connected to the router gets the address assigned
by the router. But the other comp cannot find the router
hence it gets itself an address which win2k client assigns
itself by design (169.254.x.x).

I think this is a Os problem more than anything else can
any one suggest something...the funny thing is if I were
to manually configure and assign all the IP/GATEWAY/ DNS
etc it works.

Thanks
APurva

GW

Make sure that you have enable TCP/IP over netbios in the
advance properties for the nic card. This setting is
found under the Tcp/ip setting advanced tab.

Sergio Moreno

Hello,

this souns like the Wireless client is not able to find the AP; try using a different channel.

Take a look at the following search from Linksys support site:

http://kb.linksys.com/cgi-bin/om_is...ing wireless access&SelectName1=&advquery=[s%
5d%5bRank%2c%2050%3a%5bSum%3a%20troubleshooting%20wireless%20access%5d%5bMerge%3a%20%5bThesaurus%3a%20troubleshooting%
20wireless%20access%5d%5d%5d&infobase=linksysrev.nfo&record={443}&softpage=IKW_ENU_JHitList

Also, take a look at the following KB from Microsoft:
How to Troubleshoot Wireless Network Connections in Windows XP WGID:374
ID: 313242
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=313242

--------------------
From: <[email protected]>
Sender: <[email protected]>
Subject: win2k client not being able to reach dhcp server in router
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 03:00:25 -0700

Hi,

--
Sergio Moreno
Microsoft Windows Networking

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.