Win XP:Locating recovery console and typing commands therein

Reaction score
I am unable to boot onto my PC. I get a message “ntldr is missing”. I have found a temporary work around and boot using a floppy disk. I have installed the recovery console from my installation disk. But I cannot find it. In addition, I have have to copy nldr files from the installation disk onto my c drive. Whenever I type the relevant commands onto recovery console I get the following types of messages: “ path or file specified is not valid” which indicates I am not typing/using recovery console correctly. I need help with two problems:

1) How do I find and access recovery console? I tried F8 but cannot find it there. I thought it would have been installed on my start menu.

2) How do I type the requisite commands onto recovery console mentioned in point 6 below.

My problem:
http://www.tinyempire.com/shortnotes/files/ntldr_missing.htm

The solution:
http://www.tinyempire.com/shortnotes/files/ntldr_missing.htm

Windows XP users
6. Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In the below example we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter "E". This letter may be different on your computer.

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

7. Once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD from the computer and reboot.

The above solution presumes I know how to copy the above files. I typed in the above commands but got the above error message mmentioned above. The articles give the impression it's simply a matter of typing in the commands, but I think more must be done on recovery console before this can be done. There's some configuring that must be done. I need a step by step tutorial on how to do this. I have spent hours googling and cannot find anything which teaches a novice how to do it . The microsoft website is useless because again it presumes you know how to work and tpe correctly the commands.recovery console.

I found this which appeared to be helpful:
http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxprcons.htm

Recovering from Bootup problems :
When the system displays on booting a message of "missing" NTLDR or NTDETECT,
you can copy these files via Recovery Console from the CD-ROM :

make sure to be on the root of the C:-drive (please make : CD \ ).
In my example, the CD-ROM drive is Drive D: , allowing to make a copy of the files
NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM from the i386-directory to the C:\ - root directory.

But again it fails to tell me how to do this eg how do I tell recovery console how to copy the files on the root file? What does please make cd \. mean?Precisly how do I type the commands?

Apologies for the lengthy post. Hoping I have provided all the necessary info.
Thanx for your help in advance.

Last edited:

Ask a Question