Wierd RAM problem

G

I had one 512 MB RAM chip (I dont know what kind) and added a 512 MB DDR chip. Now it says in Sysyem Properties that I only have 265 MB RAM, and My computer is doing wierd things, for example It starts up much faster that it used to, (it seems to skip things during start up, I had to turn it off using the power button when it froze due to other reasons, and when I restarted it didnt run the disk check.

It said in system properties before the upgrade I had 512 MB RAM. I added the 512 DDR chip and now it says I have 256. I would like to know what is going on, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

B

Bob Willard

DM said:
I had one 512 MB RAM chip (I dont know what kind) and added a 512 MB DDR chip. Now it says in Sysyem Properties that I only have 265 MB RAM, and My computer is doing wierd things, for example It starts up much faster that it used to, (it seems to skip things during start up, I had to turn it off using the power button when it froze due to other reasons, and when I restarted it didnt run the disk check.)

It said in system properties before the upgrade I had 512 MB RAM. I added the 512 DDR chip and now it says I have 256. I would like to know what is going on, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Sounds like incompatible RAM sticks. Each RAM stick must be compatible
with the MB, and each RAM stick must be compatible with the other sticks.
Having the same size is irrelevant; you must have the same type and,
usually, the same speed; else, weird things may happen.

R

Ron Martell

DM said:
I had one 512 MB RAM chip (I dont know what kind) and added a 512 MB DDR chip. Now it says in Sysyem Properties that I only have 265 MB RAM, and My computer is doing wierd things, for example It starts up much faster that it used to, (it seems to skip things during start up, I had to turn it off using the power button when it froze due to other reasons, and when I restarted it didnt run the disk check.)

Remove the old 512 mb chip and try the computer with just the new 512
mb by itself.

What happens with respect to the various issues you experience when
both modules are installed?

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

"The reason computer chips are so small is computers don't eat much."

Ask a Question