Wierd printing with different shades of gray!

Jeff Malka

I wrote a letter using Word 97 using and it is printing extremely strangely.
The letterhead is in a moderate (pretty) shade of gray, the first 2 lines of
the addressee are in the same shade, but the third line is darker (almost
bold) standard print color. Then the rest is in that first shade of gray
until I get to the last line that says "Thank you" and sincerely, etc.

I've checked the styles. Everything is in "body text", the bold/non bold is
all non bold everywhere, etc. I've retyped the letter 3 times (without
touching styles, bold or anything else throughout) and it still prints the
same. The Word "print preview" does not show this two tone appearance but
it still always prints it that way.

What could be causing this peculiar printing? I am totally perplexed. Never
happened before.

--

Jeff McPherson
Email address deliberately false to avoid spam

TF

Under Tools, Options, Compatibility there is an option 'Print Colours as
Black on non-colour Printer'. Check that box.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

:
: I've checked the styles. Everything is in "body text", the bold/non bold
is
: all non bold everywhere, etc. I've retyped the letter 3 times (without
: touching styles, bold or anything else throughout) and it still prints the
: same. The Word "print preview" does not show this two tone appearance
but
: it still always prints it that way.
:
: What could be causing this peculiar printing? I am totally perplexed.
Never
: happened before.
:
: --
:
: Jeff McPherson
: Email address deliberately false to avoid spam
: (e-mail address removed)
:
:

Jeff Malka

Thanks for replying.

I did that. It was unchecked. Now the letter prints as one colour, BUT all
in the light grey rather than standard black. Also, the printer I am using
is a color HP (930) LaserJet, not a "non-colour" Printer.

In case this is of help, I am dealing with Word 97 on an XP system. The
trouble may have started when I put a Office XP CD in my drive and clicked
on setup. But because I was not sure I wanted to go ahead with installing
XP yet, I cancelled before it went beyond the opening screen. Thinking this
might be the problem, I use System Restore to go back to before my inserting
that Office CD, but that changed nothing.

Don't know what to do to return things to the way they were.

--

Jeff McPherson
Email address deliberately false to avoid spam
(e-mail address removed)

TF

Jeff

I recommend that the next test is to delete the printer and reinstall it.
Does that resolve the issue?

Terry

: Thanks for replying.
:
: "TF" <terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom> wrote in message
: : > Under Tools, Options, Compatibility there is an option 'Print Colours as
: > Black on non-colour Printer'. Check that box.
: >
: > --
: > Terry Farrell - Word MVP
: > http://word.mvps.org/
: >
: > : > : I wrote a letter using Word 97 using and it is printing extremely
: > strangely.
: > : The letterhead is in a moderate (pretty) shade of gray, the first 2
: lines
: > of
: > : the addressee are in the same shade, but the third line is darker
: (almost
: > : bold) standard print color. Then the rest is in that first shade of
: gray
: > : until I get to the last line that says "Thank you" and sincerely, etc.
: > :
: > : I've checked the styles. Everything is in "body text", the bold/non
bold
: > is
: > : all non bold everywhere, etc. I've retyped the letter 3 times (without
: > : touching styles, bold or anything else throughout) and it still prints
: the
: > : same. The Word "print preview" does not show this two tone
appearance
: > but
: > : it still always prints it that way.
: > :
: > : What could be causing this peculiar printing? I am totally perplexed.
: > Never
: > : happened before.
: > :
: > : --