why relative hint path but absolute reference path

gerry

I have a vs.net 2002 solution that contains a number of projects
All projects are created in folders under the solution folder.
The idea here is that this entire solution should be 'moveable' ie. copied
to and useable from a new directory or computer.
And it almost is.

One project makes reference to an existing .net dll that also exists in a
folder under the solution folder.
The project file shows a relative hint path to the dll ie
"..\..\dllFolder\my.dll"
If I move the solution to a new folder and the open solution from the new
location, the dll can no longer be found. if i restore the original
solution folder, the dll is once again found. so obviously, although the
project file includes a relative hint path, vs.net is in fact looking for
the dll at an absolute location. This is causing headaches as this solution
cannot be 'passed around' without re-adding the reference to this dll.

is there some setting somewhere to get the relative path used ?
there does not seem to be any problem using relative project references - is
there some trick using a dummy project to get this to work ?

gerry

Peter Huang

Hi,

I reviewed the thread and find that there is a similar issue in the
newsgroup below.Now our colleague has replied to you, you may go and take a
look.
Subject: why relative hint path but absolute reference path
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.vsnet.ide

Best regards,