Why is balance control greyed out for mike

tjpearson

V said:
"tjpearson" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message

I've searched and searched but can't find anything and knowbod
answers,
so I thought I'd try this forum.
My COMPAQ Presario manual clearly states the microphone socket is
capable of receiving stereo signal but no matter what I try it only
records in mono when inputting a stereo source. The speaker an
sound
options show the microphone balance adjust greyed out, this makes me
believe that the standard setting is mono, HOW DO I CHANGE THIS ?
Please help,
-

The manual is probably wrong.

I have never owned a consumer-grade soundcard
(have owned 10+) or had a laptop (have owned 8)
that did stereo-mic in. Only mono.

The mic input on my desktop also shows the balance
as disabled, this is on an ASUS PC-DL MB using
Analog Devices hardware.

You'll probably need to go shopping for different
(read: higher $$$$$) hardware if you truly need stereo mic-in.
-

Thanks V Green,
Just been shopping and ordered from the states a USB audio stereo inpu
device, they told me it's a common request ($40). Why do retailers li
when your buying when they don't know the answer.
Ti

V Green

tjpearson said:
Thanks V Green,
Just been shopping and ordered from the states a USB audio stereo input
device, they told me it's a common request ($40). Why do retailers lie
when your buying when they don't know the answer.
Tim

Beats me.

I've always said, "I don't know." is a reasonable
answer to a question that you don't know the answer
to. I guess that salespeople see it as a sign of weakness
when they have to admit that they don't know something.