Why Does Music Feel So Good?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
One day several years ago Valorie Salimpoor took a drive that would change the course of her life. She was at the peak of what she now calls her “quarter-life crisis,” not knowing what kind of career she wanted or how she might use her undergraduate neuroscience training. Hoping an outing might clear her head, that day she jumped in her car and switched on the radio. She heard the charging tempo and jaunty, teasing violin of Johannes Brahms’s Hungarian Dance No. 5.
“This piece of music came on, and something just happened,” Salimpoor recalls. “I just felt this rush of emotion come through me. It was so intense.” She pulled over to the side of the street so she could concentrate on the song and the pleasure it gave her.

Read the whole article.......

Link

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I had to find the Hungarian Dance No 5 conducted by a woman to compliment the story above, it is exquisitely done to say the least, enjoy! :thumb:

Watch in HD to get the best sound and picture.

Reaction score
Trust me its got nothing to do with the conductor being a hottie, more to do with Bo Derek I think ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
That wuz good :)

And the conductor, um, yes, a bit tasty ;)

No, no, I'm not a sexist pig, stop hitting me... ouch!

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Yes, very interesting. :)

I always felt that we developed a liking for music from our time in the womb. Lying there, protected, in a warm fluid with everything provided we could hear the beat, or rhythm, of our mother’s heartbeat. It’s no surprise then, that after birth, we have some connection with rhythm and that is what music is, basically.

In the womb we presumably feel good, or at least do not feel bad, so music may equal security and, in general, good feelings.

Well, that's my theory anyway. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Does this mean that when I leap around my living room to Slayer, Iron Maiden and Nine Inch Nails I am subconciously nurturing a hidden oedipus complex? :eek:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Or your body is reacting to neural shock overload.
blissysmile.gif

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I suffer wit Bipolar and use music as a distraction when experiencing mood changes

Ask a Question