Why Do Icons Disappear

D

DeejayNYC

One minor but frustrating thing I continually find with Internet Explorer is that the "customized" icons that replace the standard explorer "e" for the URLs for various websites in my "Favorites" and "Links" lists (e.g., the New York Times has a gothic "N," Symantec has a black and yellow circle, ESPN has a red "E," Yahoo! a red "Y," etc.) eventually disappear and are replaced by the standard "e." This doesn't seem to follow any particular action on my part, and at times seems to happen and then reverse itself as mysteriously as it occurred in the first place. By the way, if I re-save the URL to my "Favorties" list, it typically cures the problem, but who wants to keep re-saving URLs? It is not unique to any particular computer of mine, so I doubt it is a hardware issue. I know this hardly qualifies as a serious glitch in the computer world, but I was curious if anyone could explain it.

Thanks.

DJ

O

Opinicus

One minor but frustrating thing I continually find with Internet Explorer is that
the "customized" icons that replace the standard explorer "e" for the URLs for
various websites in my "Favorites" and "Links" lists

As someone else pointed out, these get deleted when the cache is emptied.
What I do is to check the cache for *.ico files before cleaning the cache,
copy any I find to a special icon folder under "My pictures", and update the
links to them (Right click on icon > Properties > Change icon). It's a bit
of work admittedly. I think the Favicon program automates this but as I
recall there were things about that program that I didn't like so I stopped
using it.

Ask a Question