Why can't I locate this infected file...?

Philippic

Hi folks,

I'm still trying to get rid of 'Dropper.Inor'.

AVG can't shift it, but does tell me that it's in a file called
'e3ioseuny[1].hta'.

I'd try deleting the thing; but it doesn't show up anywhere! Not findable in
Windows Explorer; not showing up in a search...

Any ideas, people...?

Ta!

Philippic

*Vanguard*

Philippic said in news:EC1uc.267$5z1.20@newsfe6-win:
Hi folks,

I'm still trying to get rid of 'Dropper.Inor'.

AVG can't shift it, but does tell me that it's in a file called
'e3ioseuny[1].hta'.

I'd try deleting the thing; but it doesn't show up anywhere! Not
findable in Windows Explorer; not showing up in a search...

Any ideas, people...?

Ta!

Philippic

Are you including hidden files in the Search? The Windows XP search is
known to not find some files even when you can see them in Explorer and
in a DOS shell 'dir' command. You might want to do a "dir e3*.hta /s"
command or use a replacement search utility, like Agent Ransack.

Nick FitzGerald

Philippic said:
I'm still trying to get rid of 'Dropper.Inor'.

AVG can't shift it, but does tell me that it's in a file called
'e3ioseuny[1].hta'.

Did it tell you where that file is?

The odds are very high (from the "[1]" bit) that this file is in your
Temporary Internet Files (aka TIF) folder.
I'd try deleting the thing; but it doesn't show up anywhere! Not findable in
Windows Explorer; not showing up in a search...

Any ideas, people...?

Sure...

Windows tries fairly hard to protect you from yourself by "hiding"
such files from typical users. As you failed to find the file, that
probably means you. Therefore, the best way for you to "clean" this
file is to clear your TIF -- in IE click on Internet Options on the
Tools menu, click on the General tab if it is not the visible one,
then click the Delete Files... button. AVG may complain about the
file once more as it is deleted, but after that it should be gone.

Nick FitzGerald

*Vanguard* said:
Are you including hidden files in the Search? The Windows XP search is
known to not find some files even when you can see them in Explorer and
in a DOS shell 'dir' command. You might want to do a "dir e3*.hta /s"
command or use a replacement search utility, like Agent Ransack.

Whilst your comments about Explorer and its search applet are correct,
I think you'll find that the addition of the "/a" swicth in the command
prompt "dir" command is _much_ more helpful (though even this can be
thwarted -- from memory directories with the hidden (and/or system)
attribute set are not traversed by the DOS command. Also, much the
same effect can be had with Explorer's search applet if you set the
appropriate options under the Tools, Folder Options menu item...

*Vanguard*

Nick FitzGerald said in news:[email protected]:
Whilst your comments about Explorer and its search applet are correct,
I think you'll find that the addition of the "/a" swicth in the
command prompt "dir" command is _much_ more helpful (though even this
can be thwarted -- from memory directories with the hidden (and/or
system) attribute set are not traversed by the DOS command. Also,
much the same effect can be had with Explorer's search applet if you
set the appropriate options under the Tools, Folder Options menu
item...

The problem is that Windows XP Search program will miss files that do
not have the hidden and system file attributes set and neither do any
folders in the path to that file. It simply won't find some files.
I've even started the search on the folder under which the file was
located. I've already discussed this in other threads. The Search in
Windows 2000 did not encounter the same problems as the Search in
Windows XP. I had to get something to replace the Search program and
ended up using the freebie version of Agent Ransack. It can find the
same files that Search cannot.

The /a switch for the dir command is only needed if the file you are
hunting for has the specified file attribute. Since it is not an OR'ed
condition (to match those files with and without that extra attribute),
you end up having to do the search several times. However, the fact
that a 'dir <file> /s' (with no file attribute options) starting from
the root directory of a drive will find a file when a Search (with all
options enabled) cannot shows there are problems with the Search in
Windows XP. And this is even when NOT searching for any text within a
file. If you include a text string in the criteria to search within the
files then Search is an even worse program to use since it only will
then search specific filetypes. The Search in Windows 2000 was a better
tool.