    can't I copy this file to the Drive?

    Thanks in advance!

    andreas

    andreas, Mar 2, 2008

  2. andreas

    Ian D Guest

    "andreas" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >A Western Digital 250 GB USB External Drive is connected to a Windows
    > XP SP2 computer. There is 227 GB of unused space on the drive, yet
    > when I try to copy and paste a 37 GB Vware images files to the drive,
    > I get an error message Titled "Error Copying File or Folder" that says
    > "Cannot copy <filename>: There is not enough free disk space." Why
    > can't I copy this file to the Drive?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    > andreas

    Sounds like the external drive is formatted as FAT32. For files that
    large, 7 GB, it should be formatted as NTSF. I think the maximum
    file size for FAT32 is 4 GB.

    Ian D, Mar 2, 2008

  3. andreas

    philo Guest

    "Ian D" <> wrote in message

    > "andreas" <> wrote in message
    > >A Western Digital 250 GB USB External Drive is connected to a Windows
    > > XP SP2 computer. There is 227 GB of unused space on the drive, yet
    > > when I try to copy and paste a 37 GB Vware images files to the drive,
    > > I get an error message Titled "Error Copying File or Folder" that says
    > > "Cannot copy <filename>: There is not enough free disk space." Why
    > > can't I copy this file to the Drive?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance!
    > >
    > > andreas

    > Sounds like the external drive is formatted as FAT32. For files that
    > large, 7 GB, it should be formatted as NTSF. I think the maximum
    > file size for FAT32 is 4 GB.

    Yep!

    philo, Mar 3, 2008
  4. andreas

    Ian D Guest

    "Ian D" <> wrote in message

    > "andreas" <> wrote in message
    >>A Western Digital 250 GB USB External Drive is connected to a Windows
    >> XP SP2 computer. There is 227 GB of unused space on the drive, yet
    >> when I try to copy and paste a 37 GB Vware images files to the drive,
    >> I get an error message Titled "Error Copying File or Folder" that says
    >> "Cannot copy <filename>: There is not enough free disk space." Why
    >> can't I copy this file to the Drive?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance!
    >>
    >> andreas

    > Sounds like the external drive is formatted as FAT32. For files that
    > large, 7 GB, it should be formatted as NTSF. I think the maximum
    > file size for FAT32 is 4 GB.

    Oops! That should be NTFS.

    Ian D, Mar 3, 2008
  5. andreas

    andreas Guest

    Thanks Ian!

    Yes, external drive is formatted as FAT32 and I don't know why! I was
    with the idea that FAT32 file system was obsolete.
    I will use the windows command convert.exe (http://
    technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb456984.aspx) to convert it to
    NTFS.
    This method keeps your files intact, unlike formatting a partition.

    andreas, Mar 3, 2008
  7. andreas

    JohnO Guest

    > Yes, external drive is formatted as FAT32 and I don't know why! I was
    > with the idea that FAT32 file system was obsolete.

    FAT32 also works with Macintosh, so a lot of manufacturers ship flash drives
    with it. I don't know if the latest OSX can read NTFS, but until recently
    they couldn't.

    -John O

    JohnO, Mar 3, 2008
  8. andreas

    David Vair Guest

    "JohnO" <johno@!NOOSPAM!heathkit.com> wrote in message news:...

    >> Yes, external drive is formatted as FAT32 and I don't know why! I was
    >> with the idea that FAT32 file system was obsolete.

    > FAT32 also works with Macintosh, so a lot of manufacturers ship flash drives with it. I don't know
    > if the latest OSX can read NTFS, but until recently they couldn't.
    >
    > -John O

    You can also run into file permission issues with NTFS that don't exist in FAT32, thats why many
    external drives are preformatted FAT32.

    --
    Dave Vair
    CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+