Why are quotation marks not appearing?

Problem with Quotation Marks

When I open a Word document in Word 2007 the quotation marks appear as a line
instead. If I clear the formatting or change the font frm courier to courier
new, I do indeed get the quotation marks. Can you explain why this happens?
Other members fo our staff can open the document with no problems with the
formattign. However, mine requires changing either the font or clear some fo
the documents formatting.

Peter T. Daniels

I believe "Courier" is a very old font, in a format that's just barely
hanging on in today's computers?, that probably doesn't have the smart-
quote characters, so Word is substituting something else -- perhaps
the "line" you're seeing is what "Courier" has where current fonts
have the box that shows up when Word doesn't know what to do with some
character.

You should simply make the permanent change to Courier New.

Herb Tyson [MVP]

It seems odd that you're using Courier and Courier New as the font. Is a
printer driver installed on your computer? If not, then that limits the
fonts that Word sees and affects how a WYSIWYG program like Word interprets
documents.

--

Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Problem with Quotation Marks" <Problem with Quotation Marks
@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...