From: System Administrator
To: Jerry McGuire
Sent: Monday, Jan 5
Subject: Problem

Sent: 1/5/04

The following recipient(s) could not reached:

Jerry McGuire on 1/5/2004
The recipient was unavailable to take delivery of the message
The MTS-ID of the original message is: C=US; a=ABC Company;
I=FS_04-040105154418Z-35
MSEXCH: IMS: ABC Company: ABC:FS_04 3499 (000B09AA) Host
unreachable

It is so strange for 2 things.
1. the system message should send to Mike but the system address it to
Jerry. However, Mike did receive the error message though.

2. It is weird that the system message was generated from ABC Company
instead of our organization OMG Company nor the receipient company XYZ
company. I am not sure how ABC Company is involved in this.

I called the XYZ company and I told them that might be some routing or DNS
issue with their exchange server. And their IT guy told me it is our
problem because they can receive our email but can't reply to it. I told
them their email sending to us were sent to a different company apparently
and he insisted it is our problem. I also explained getting our emails
doesn't mean he could send email also since the jobs were done by different
connectors like SMTP and POP3 connectors. The guy still insisted it is our
problem because he said he is not able to ping our mail server. Well.. I
couldn't ping our company mail server too from home but I was still able to
send email to my work address and returning without any problem. So what do
you guys think? The problem reside on his end or our side?

Thanks

Billy

neo [mvp outlook]

Looks like a routing problem. Both sides should do a tracert and see where
the packet dies. I only say this because I'm dealing with this type of
issue now where it looks like a single router has been configured to block
traffic. (e.g. can't pass it to the next hop so it reports back to the
sender that the destination is unreachable.)