WHLLAPI.DLL : Can't get a pointer to DLL

J

jeffrey.travassos

WHLLAPI.DLL - System Error when trying to Load DLL

I've got two machines, both running XP. I doubt they're identical HD imagesthough.

The center here runs an Emulator called Aviva for Desktops version 12. Theyuse it to connect to IBM mainframes.

I use a laptop to develop simple tools for the center and up until today, Ithought I was running the same version of the Aviva Emulator as the centerin the end I'm not. I'm running Aviva for Desktops 8.20

Now. I found some sample code here http://www.sdisw.com/tn3270/WHLLAPI3270VB.htm, which works great on my version of Aviva. I've got both WHLLAPI.DLL and WHLLAP16.DLL in the install directory of Aviva and all is well. I can get a pointer to the DLL and issue commands to the WinHll API successfully.

When I take this sample code and move it to one of the production machines,I am no longer able to load the same DLL. The install directory structure is a little different. I don't have WHLLAPI16.DLL but I do have WHLLAPI.DLL.. When I point the sample code to that file and try to get a pointer to it,It fails, and thus I cannot control the Emulator.

So I putsed around in the directory and found a utility called TstApi.exe that allows me to execute individual functions of WinHLLAPI and EHLLAPI, andI've learned that if I call WinHLLAPIStartup before anything else, my subsequent calls work. So I've determined this call as a prerequisite for all other calls on this machine.

When I examine some sample code I found, I see that a pointer to the WHLLAPI Dll is obtained before WinHLLAPIStartup is even called. I guess that's mymain issue. I'm not sure how to tell why I'm not obtaining a pointer...

Here's the code that loads the DLL

Private Declare Auto Function LoadLibrary Lib "kernel32" _
(ByVal DllToLoad As String) As IntPtr

Private Declare Function GetProcAddress Lib "kernel32" _
(ByVal ModuleHandle As IntPtr, ByVal ProcName As String) _
As IntPtr

Private Declare Function FreeLibrary Lib "kernel32" _
(ByVal ModuleHandle As IntPtr) As IntPtr

' Declare delegates for the Whllapi functions: WinHLLAPI, WinHLLAPIStatup and
' WHLLAPICleanup. (Requires .NET Framework version 2.0 or above)
'
' WinHLLAPI function call syntax as documented in the Windows HLLAPI
' Specification Version 1.1
'
' extern void FAR PASCAL WinHLLAPI(
' LPWORD lpwFunction, /* Function name */
' LPBYTE lpbyString, /* String pointer */
' LPWORD lpwLength, /* String (data) length */
' LPWORD lpwReturnCode); /* Return code */
'
' int WinHLLAPIStartup(WORD wVersionRequired, LPWHLLAPIDATA lpData)
'
' BOOL WinHLLAPICleanup(void)
'
<UnmanagedFunctionPointer(CallingConvention.Cdecl)> _
Public Delegate Sub WinHLLAPI(ByRef lpwFunction As UInt16, ByVal byDataAs Byte(), ByRef lpwLength As UInt16, ByRef lpwReturnCode As UInt16)
Public Delegate Function WinHLLAPIStartup(ByVal nVersion As Short, ByVal byData As Byte()) As Integer
Public Delegate Function WinHLLAPICleanup() As Integer

Public WinHLLAPIDelegate As WinHLLAPI
Public WinHLLAPIStartupDelegate As WinHLLAPIStartup
Public WinHLLAPICleanupDelegate As WinHLLAPICleanup

Public handleToWhllapiDll As IntPtr

Public Function LoadDll(ByVal whllapiDllFilename As String) As Boolean

' Map the WHLLAPI DLL into our address space.
handleToWhllapiDll = LoadLibrary(whllapiDllFilename)

If handleToWhllapiDll <> IntPtr.Zero Then

' Get the addresses of the WinHLLAPI, WinHLLAPIStartup and WinHLLAPICleanup
Dim ptrToWinHLLAPIFunction As IntPtr
Dim ptrToWinHLLAPIStartupFunction As IntPtr
Dim ptrToWinHLLAPICleanupFunction As IntPtr
ptrToWinHLLAPIFunction = GetProcAddress(handleToWhllapiDll, "WinHLLAPI")
ptrToWinHLLAPIStartupFunction = GetProcAddress(handleToWhllapiDll, "WinHLLAPIStartup")
ptrToWinHLLAPICleanupFunction = GetProcAddress(handleToWhllapiDll, "WinHLLAPICleanup")

If (ptrToWinHLLAPIFunction <> IntPtr.Zero) AndAlso _
(ptrToWinHLLAPIStartupFunction <> IntPtr.Zero) AndAlso _
(ptrToWinHLLAPICleanupFunction <> IntPtr.Zero) Then

WinHLLAPIDelegate = Marshal.GetDelegateForFunctionPointer(ptrToWinHLLAPIFunction, GetType(WinHLLAPI))
WinHLLAPIStartupDelegate = Marshal.GetDelegateForFunctionPointer(ptrToWinHLLAPIStartupFunction, GetType(WinHLLAPIStartup))
WinHLLAPICleanupDelegate = Marshal.GetDelegateForFunctionPointer(ptrToWinHLLAPICleanupFunction, GetType(WinHLLAPICleanup))

Return True

End If

End If
Return False
End Function

Thank you

Ask a Question