Which Newcastle?

Reaction score
LONDON (AFP) - A Staffordshire town is refusing to pay back over a million pounds in grants on Thursday after embarrassed civil servants confused them with another English city.

The Department for Communities and Local Government mistook the market town of Newcastle-Under-Lyme -- with a population of just 74,000 people -- with the industrial city of Newcastle-Upon-Tyne -- which is 186 miles away and has 260,000 residents -- when calculating funding budgets, resulting in a 1.1 million pound overpayment.

The market town claims that its 2.5 million pound grant has already been earmarked for projects and they are unable to pay it back.

"It was a large amount but we assumed it was in recognition of the work we've done to encourage business growth," said Simon Tagg, the borough council leader. "We have no intention of giving the money back at this stage.

John Shipley, the city council leader of Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, told The Times: "It was an astonishing error by a Whitehall department to confuse the two Newcastles."

A red-faced government spokesman said: "This is a regrettable error."

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Money well spent

Lol , I happen to live In Newcastle-under-Lyme and just as we speak all the pavements are being resurfaced , the lights in the Town Centre changed for more energy efficient ones, disabled areas introduced, late night shopping with patrolling bobbies...the whole of the Lyme valley has had 3 play areas created to suit age ranges and a cycle and walkway created that stretches 2 miles down the side of the River Trent...not bad if you can get the money so do you think they should give it back ?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Haha, I'm going to have to forward this to my friends in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne :lol:

Ask a Question