Which key?

D

Den

Group:

Under XP Pro, when I right-click a .txt file I get a context sensitive menu
that includes options to Open / Edit / Print.

When I do the same with a .cmd or .bat file I normally get the same options.
However, when using one particular user account the Open / Edit / Print
options are missing when right-clicking on .cmd or .bat's.

Can anyone point me to where I should be lookingto rectify this.

Ta muchly

Den

M

Mark L. Ferguson

Interesting problem, but I'm not sure this isn't a waste of your time to tell you what I know.

The GUI for changing 'actions' of a 'filetype' 'association' is at control panel/folder options, filetypes tab, highlight filetype,
(txt, etc) Advanced tab, highlight any Action (open, or whatever) Edit.

This hacks the registry at start/run, type REGEDT32
e.g. see HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\txtfile\shell\open\command
for txt file open

It's not just one user that sees these local root hive settings. It applies to all users. Having some one profile with no setting
for the context menu implies some special Policy setting exclusive to that users, and seems a bit far-fetched for me to assume it
might be the case for you. I think it more likely that some ADMIN user has installed some 'owned object' that has a file association
for it. Say a 'SuperNotepad" app, or whatever. This would be installed for only that user, and found in some owned folder
(../myadmin/my documents/.. ??)

If you know of no app an admin might have put in intentionally, I think you should be looking for a virus/backdoor server.

Ask a Question