Which is the up-to-dated successor of the actually dead "Partition Magic"?

Juan I. Cahis

Dear friends:

Which is the up-to-dated successor of the actually dead "Partition
Magic"?

A "must have utility", apparently killed by Symantec.

Any suggestion?

Thanks
Juan I. Cahis
Santiago de Chile (South America)
Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!

Jerry

I just did a Google search on Partition Magic and there were pages of
listings. None of them indicated the program had been discontinued.

The latest version was 8.0.

Dear friends:

Which is the up-to-dated successor of the actually dead "Partition
Magic"?

A "must have utility", apparently killed by Symantec.

Any suggestion?

Thanks
Juan I. Cahis
Santiago de Chile (South America)
Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!

Juan I. Cahis

Try to get support or to buy it from Symantec WEB site!!!!

Jerry said:
I just did a Google search on Partition Magic and there were pages of
listings. None of them indicated the program had been discontinued.

The latest version was 8.0.

Dear friends:

Which is the up-to-dated successor of the actually dead "Partition
Magic"?

A "must have utility", apparently killed by Symantec.

Any suggestion?

Thanks
Juan I. Cahis
Santiago de Chile (South America)
Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!
Thanks
Juan I. Cahis
Santiago de Chile (South America)
Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!

roman modic

Hello!

Juan I. Cahis said:
Dear friends:

Which is the up-to-dated successor of the actually dead "Partition
Magic"?

A "must have utility", apparently killed by Symantec.

Any suggestion?

"BootIt NG":
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html
Compatible with all Windows versions (9x/ME/NT/2K/XP/2003/Vista).
Compatible with x64 (AMD64/EM64T) and Windows 64bit OS (non-GPT).
IEEE1394/USB 2.0 high-speed support for imaging/partitioning
Support for large hard drives (2 TB) and partitions (1-2 TB)
Non-destructive resizing and conversion for FAT/FAT32
Non-destructive resizing for NTFS
Creation and (secure) deletion of partitions/volumes
Undelete partitions/volumes
FAT/FAT32 formatting
Copying and moving of partitions/volumes
Support for Linux Ext2/Ext3 and ReiserFS file systems
Imaging (including directly to CD-R/RW or DVD+R+RW-R-RW)
Booting any partition on any hard drive (via BIOS)
Booting from the CD/DVD drive
Booting multiple operating systems from a single partition
Create over 200 primary partitions (if desired)
User ID and password protection
Free upgrades (1.00-1.99) (registration-key versions only)
And lots more...

"Portlock Storage Manager":
http://www.portlock.com/products/stormgr/storagemanagement.htm
Supports NetWare versions 3.12 - 6.5
Supports Linux and Open Enterprise Server
Supports Windows 95 - XP - 2003 (beta status)
Supports DOS partitions
NetWare Traditional and NSS volumes and partitions
Windows FAT32 and NTFS partitions (beta status)
Linux partitions (beta status)
Diagnostic partitions.
Runs under NetWare, Linux and DOS
Does not require a server reboot for most operations
Dismounts only the volume being managed
Image Manager for remote server imaging
Supports partition mirroring
Supports multi-segment volumes
Extensive volume analysis tools
Image and Restore entire servers
Delete volume segments without loss of data (Traditional volumes).
Extensive Data Recovery features
Remote control a server even when the server is running from DOS.
http://www.portlock.com/beta/index.htm

For working with partitions I also recommend:

"Partition Saving" (V3.11)
http://www.partition-saving.com/
Download (savepart.zip) at:
http://damien.guibouret.free.fr/en/telechargement.html

and "BootPart" (2.60)
http://www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm

Regards, Roman

All Things Mopar

Today Jerry commented courteously on the subject at hand
I just did a Google search on Partition Magic and there
were pages of listings. None of them indicated the program
had been discontinued.

The latest version was 8.0.

There's one patch to 8.0, I believe. I also think the OP was
referring to Symantec, at least obliquely.

In actuality, when PowerQuest sold out to Symantec, what was
once an outstanding utility was homogonized by the "S word"
folks, who appear not to give a shit about it, update, fix
bugs, or develop a newer version. Strange, I think, as it is a
very useful utility and should be able to earn Symantec big
buck vs. Parition Commander and others.

Juan I. Cahis

The problem is that its last patch/upgrade is from 2003. And does the
hard disk technology have changed since that date? Will PM work well
with the new 1.8" disk which are in the new notebooks? With the new
SATA disks? With the new USB connected external disks? etc., etc.,
etc.

All Things Mopar said:
Today Jerry commented courteously on the subject at hand

There's one patch to 8.0, I believe. I also think the OP was
referring to Symantec, at least obliquely.

In actuality, when PowerQuest sold out to Symantec, what was
once an outstanding utility was homogonized by the "S word"
folks, who appear not to give a shit about it, update, fix
bugs, or develop a newer version. Strange, I think, as it is a
very useful utility and should be able to earn Symantec big
buck vs. Parition Commander and others.
Thanks
Juan I. Cahis
Santiago de Chile (South America)
Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!

All Things Mopar

Today Juan I. Cahis commented courteously on the subject at
hand
The problem is that its last patch/upgrade is from 2003.
And does the hard disk technology have changed since that
date? Will PM work well with the new 1.8" disk which are in
the new notebooks? With the new SATA disks? With the new
USB connected external disks? etc., etc., etc.

Beats the hell outta me, Juan! Have you asked Symantec these
questions? I do know that PM 8.01 works fine on several of my
HDs, including my current Maxtor SATA drive, and 3 externals
(one Maxtor, two Hammers), under both XP Pro SP1 and SP2.

Juan I. Cahis

That is a good info!!!!

All Things Mopar said:
Today Juan I. Cahis commented courteously on the subject at
hand

Beats the hell outta me, Juan! Have you asked Symantec these
questions? I do know that PM 8.01 works fine on several of my
HDs, including my current Maxtor SATA drive, and 3 externals
(one Maxtor, two Hammers), under both XP Pro SP1 and SP2.
Thanks
Juan I. Cahis
Santiago de Chile (South America)
Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!

Michel Merlin

Juan (as most old faithful PM users) implies (in his « the
actually dead "Partition Magic" ») that PM is dead now that it
has been "Symantecized"

(You may have not noticed so far that when a product gets bought
by Symantec, it immediately gets an increase in price, a shower
of "enhancements" that essentially cripple it, and a total stop
of actual support. Norton AV, Delrina Fax, GoBack, Ghost, and
now Partition Magic and Drive Image, are just a few examples).

PM8.x exists in both Symantecized and original Symantec-free
PowerQuest versions. So the ones who want a true PM can:

- Google "Partition Magic 8"
http://www.google.com/search?q=Partition+Magic+8 and for each
link, email the vendor to make sure it is a PQ version;
- or Google "Partition Magic 7"
http://www.google.com/search?q=Partition+Magic+7, and for each
link, email the vendor to make sure it is an actually available
version.

After doing both you will discover that someone (Symantec?) has
actually dried the market, you can't really get Parition Magic
any more (in a true and legit version that is).

So you are left looking for competing products. The best known
ones AFAIK are currently:

- Acronis Disk Director Suite
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/diskdirector/
v10.0 $49.99
- Paragon Partition Manager 7.0
http://www.partition-manager.com/ $49.95
- Ranish Partition Manager http://www.ranish.com/part/
(v2.44, June 2002) $0.00

For me I fortunately bought PM3, PM5, and (probably the best
one) PM6.0, so I am ready so far. But when PM6 needs to be
updated (due to changes in OSes, File Systems and apps), I will
have to try and buy something else. And it seems that PM6, while
still not perfect, remains unmatched so far.

The same goes for DI (Drive Image): the version that exists in
both Symantecized and Symantec-free flavors, is DI7; in
addition, Symantec is trying to kill it stronger (since it
already has Ghost); so it's wiser to try and buy DI6, but you
will have hard time to find a product actually available. Anyway
Acronis TU9 (Tue Image 9), $49.99, does reasonably well (while
not perfectly either) all DI did:
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

Paris, Thu 4 May 2006 18:58:40 +0200

----- Parent Message (links are clickable) -----
Which is the up-to-dated successor of the actually dead
"Partition Magic"?

A "must have utility", apparently killed by Symantec.

Any suggestion?

Thanks
Juan I. Cahis
Santiago de Chile (South America)
Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to
improve it!

Michel Merlin

Thanks Roman for your list. Could you complete it with your
opinion about the items in that list of yours, and about
Acronis Disk Director and Paragon Partition Manager
(see my reply to "DL")? TIA,

Paris, Thu 4 May 2006 19:00:00 +0200

Michel Merlin said:
Thanks Roman for your list. Could you complete it with your
opinion about the items in that list of yours, and about
Acronis Disk Director and Paragon Partition Manager
(see my reply to "DL")? TIA,

I've never used Paragon PM, but I know that they have interesting
product called Mount Everything:
http://www.mount-everything.com/comparsion.htm

I tried Ranish, but didn't like it. I've never used Acronis either, but
heard good comments about it, especially about True Image.
Here are the features of Acronis PM:
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/diskdirector/partitioning.html
Dual operating mode design (wizards/manual)
FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, Linux Ext2, Ext3, ReiserFS, and Linux SWAP partition support. Special sector-by-sector support for copying and
moving partitions of any other type.
New! Split one partition into two and leave your data intact
New! Merge two partitions into one and leave your data untouched, even if file systems on the partitions are different
New! Explore partition data before performing partitioning operations
New! Troubleshoot issues and reasons for failure by viewing logs
Resize, copy, and move partitions without losing data*
Create and delete partitions of any type
Format partitions*
Automatically optimize hard disk space usage
Convert FAT16 <=> FAT32, Linux Ext2 <=> Ext3 partitions without losing data
Change cluster size automatically or manually
Browse through the detailed information about all hard disks, partitions and file systems
Hide or make visible partitions of any type
Preview changes made in partition layout before applying them to disk
Supports large disks over 180 Gb

and of Paragon PM
http://www.partition-manager.com/corporate/professional/
Resize partitions with data*
Hot Resize (upward) - enlarge NTFS partition without rebooting Windows and interrupting its work.*
Convert file system
- FAT16 to FAT32 and back
- FAT16/32 to NTFS and back
- Ext2 FS to Ext3 FS and back
Merge partitions (even partitions of different file systems)*
Undelete partition*
Virtual pre-execution*****
Wizards for most usual scenarios:
- Partition Merge Wizard
- Redistribute Free Space Wizard
- Partition Undelete Wizard
Change cluster size*
Defragment File System*
Supports P-ATA (IDE), S-ATA (SATA), SCSI hard disks
Supports large hard disks (up to 500GB tested, theoretically not limited)
Supports FireWire IEEE1394, USB 1.0, USB 2.0, ZIP® and Jazz® media
Supports Flash devices
Recovery CD****
Partition Explorer - browse FAT, NTFS, Ext2 or Ext3 FS partition without drive letter, edit or copy files and folders
Recovery Media Builder - creates CDs/DVDs(or even a floppy disk) that you can boot from and recover your system.

Professional and Server Editions only:
Supports dynamic disks
Supports RAID
Convert Dynamic Disks to Basic Disks
Windows NT/2000/2003 Server and Windows PE support (Server Edition only)
Script Generator
Command Line Support

There exists another product: Partition Commander PRO
http://www.v-com.com/product/Partition_Commander_Pro_Home.html
Create/delete/copy/move any partition type
Safe resize for all Windows (95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP/2003) and DOS includes FAT,FAT32, and NTFS
Safe resize for Linux. Includes Ext2, Ext3 and ReiserFS
IDE hard drives. SCSI drives that are accessible at boot time (most are). USB and Firewire drives are often not supported by the
BIOS.
Physical raid arrays that do not require software drivers (looks to the BIOS as a single drive)
Adds Partition Scripting
Includes a technician License for use on an unlimited number of systems
Works on Servers and Workstations

Cheers, Roman