Which is the best CD ripper

Reaction score
I wish to download my collection of CD's to my PC the players I have downloaded are Rythmbox and Audacious I am not that keen on MP3 reproduction and would rather have the CD quality sound reproduction. Most of my music is Classical, Country, Folk, 1940's,50's, Big Band etc. But am not sure which ripping app to download. If any one can help me on this issue I would be most greatfull. I am running Linux Mint Cinnamon18.1 64bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
"Best" hunh... dunno, but try Asunder and see if you like it:

https://community.linuxmint.com/software/view/asunder

Asunder features:
  • Can save audio tracks as WAV, MP3, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, Opus, Wavpack, Musepack, AAC, and Monkey's audio files;
  • Uses CDDB to name and tag each track;
  • Creates M3U playlists;
  • Can encode to multiple formats in one session;
  • Simultaneous rip and encode;
  • Allows for each track to be by a different artist;
  • Does not require a specific desktop environment.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If I may just mention, FLAC is the best audio format for ripped CD's if you want quality (in my opinion). However, FLAC files take up considerably more room than mp3's.

Anything audio I have of note is saved in FLAC format.

Reaction score
Thanks for that Uncle Urmas I will have a look and see if it meets my requirements but looks promising. Thanks for that Mr Flops are you sure that is supported in Mint, I could only see on their web page about Microsoft and Mac. Also I have several hundred CD's to download, I bet nowhere as many as you though.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Yes, FLAC files can be played in Linux. I have the stock players Banshee & VLC installed in Mint Cinnamon 18 and both play FLAC files. I favour Foobar for Windows but it's not native to Linux. I have read that some people have enabled Foobar in Linux but not without a lot of kerfuffing about.

I recently burnt the entire Van Morrison album catalogue to DVD's as data files and 23 albums, including some double and triple albums, took around 8.6Gb at the standard FLAC ripping setting, to give you some idea of the space FLAC files take up.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Oh, btw, I actually have relatively few CD's, less than 200 whilst I own in excess of 1300 vinyl LP's.

I have no idea how many digital albums and other files I have and don't get me started on my old cassette collection :lol:

And while I'm waffling on, to safeguard my digital audio collection I have the files in an external RAID dock with a pair of 2Tb disks in a RAID 1 config (mirrored). This means if one disk fails - as it almost certainly will - I still have all files intact on the other disk. A little pricey perhaps (the dock was £83) but worthwhile, imo.

Also consider Cloud storage as backup, though I don't favour it myself.

Reaction score
I have a deck that will download vinyl records into a PC haven't tried yet as need to get sound recording set up in Mint.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I have a standard turntable connected to a normal amplifier for recording from, I take the tape out 2 from the amp into an audio interface, a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and use an early version of dbPoweramp auxillary module to do the recording.

This is a Windows (7) setup and I'm not actually sure if Linux will recognise the Scarlett 2i2 or work with it, I must try it one day. I also have not a clue which software to use for recording with Linux, could be an interesting task to try.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I wish to download my collection of CD's to my PC the players I have downloaded are Rythmbox and Audacious I am not that keen on MP3 reproduction and would rather have the CD quality sound reproduction. Most of my music is Classical, Country, Folk, 1940's,50's, Big Band etc. But am not sure which ripping app to download. If any one can help me on this issue I would be most greatfull. I am running Linux Mint Cinnamon18.1 64bit.

Found this pretty comprehensive UBUNTU guide to ripping cd's for you boots,

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CDRipping
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CDRipping
breakfast.gif

Ask a Question