Which component needed for enabling file sharing in explorer?

G

On my target, I cannot enable directories or files for sharing on the attached network
The steps I'm doing
1) In Explorer, I select a directory which I want to share, e.g. "Program Files"
2) In the "File" menu, I select the menuline "Program Files", and then "Sharing and Security >
3) Then nothing happen
In XP (Pro), you get a window where you can do the share settings, but not in the XPe I built
I think I'm missing one or more components. I included almost everything for MS Networks, file sharing etc, but without succes
Anyone

K

KM

Ed de Vries,

1. Verify that "Security Shell Extension" component is included in the
configuration, and then add the
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Sharing],
@={f81e9010-6ea4-11ce-a7ff-00aa003ca9f6} registry key to add the sharing
context menu item.
To add the Sharing tab in the properties add
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\Sharing]
@="{f81e9010-6ea4-11ce-a7ff-00aa003ca9f6".

2. Add "Map Network Drives/Network Places Wizard" and "Primitive:MPRUI"
components and see if it helps.

3. Search this NG google archive for more info.

KM
On my target, I cannot enable directories or files for sharing on the attached network.
The steps I'm doing:
1) In Explorer, I select a directory which I want to share, e.g. "Program Files".
2) In the "File" menu, I select the menuline "Program Files", and then "Sharing and Security >"
3) Then nothing happens
In XP (Pro), you get a window where you can do the share settings, but not in the XPe I built.
I think I'm missing one or more components. I included almost everything
for MS Networks, file sharing etc, but without succes.

G

Well, I tried all of the above items 1) and 2), but without success. After clicking on "Sharing and Security >", the harddisk is doing something, but after a few seconds it stops and nothing else happens. Maybe I'm missing some more components

----- KM wrote: ----

Ed de Vries

1. Verify that "Security Shell Extension" component is included in th
configuration, and then add th
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Sharing]
@={f81e9010-6ea4-11ce-a7ff-00aa003ca9f6} registry key to add the sharin
context menu item
To add the Sharing tab in the properties ad
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\Sharing
@="{f81e9010-6ea4-11ce-a7ff-00aa003ca9f6"

2. Add "Map Network Drives/Network Places Wizard" and "Primitive:MPRUI
components and see if it helps

3. Search this NG google archive for more info

K
On my target, I cannot enable directories or files for sharing on th attached network
The steps I'm doing
1) In Explorer, I select a directory which I want to share, e.g. "Progra Files"
2) In the "File" menu, I select the menuline "Program Files", and the "Sharing and Security >
3) Then nothing happen
In XP (Pro), you get a window where you can do the share settings, but no in the XPe I built
I think I'm missing one or more components. I included almost everythin
for MS Networks, file sharing etc, but without succes

K

KM

Ed de Vries,

Just in case, check if "Show context menu on Shell folders" option of "User Interface Core" component is set.
Actually, the "Security Shell Extension" component provides ISecurityInformation for the file system and printer. This component
displays the Security tab for file, folder, and printer objects. The Security tab allows users to view and edit permissions.
Please double check the "File Sharing" and "Security Shell Extension" (the component visibility is 200) are included and the
components' dependencies are resolved.
Try manually to register the rshx32.dll (with regsvr32, e.g.) (btw, do you use XPe/SP1?).

Then if nothing helps, you may want to monitor what is going on when you select "Sharing and Security..." context menu item. Use
Filemon/Regmon tools (www.sysinternals.com) to see what is missing from your image.

--
KM,
BSquare Corporation
Well, I tried all of the above items 1) and 2), but without success. After clicking on "Sharing and Security >", the harddisk is
doing something, but after a few seconds it stops and nothing else happens. Maybe I'm missing some more components?
----- KM wrote: -----

Ed de Vries,

1. Verify that "Security Shell Extension" component is included in the
configuration, and then add the
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Sharing],
@={f81e9010-6ea4-11ce-a7ff-00aa003ca9f6} registry key to add the sharing
context menu item.
To add the Sharing tab in the properties add
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\Sharing]
@="{f81e9010-6ea4-11ce-a7ff-00aa003ca9f6".

2. Add "Map Network Drives/Network Places Wizard" and "Primitive:MPRUI"
components and see if it helps.

3. Search this NG google archive for more info.

KM
On my target, I cannot enable directories or files for sharing on the attached network.
The steps I'm doing:
1) In Explorer, I select a directory which I want to share, e.g. "Program Files".
2) In the "File" menu, I select the menuline "Program Files", and then "Sharing and Security >"
3) Then nothing happens
In XP (Pro), you get a window where you can do the share settings, but not in the XPe I built.

M

Mark K Vallevand

I think there is a missing component that isn't pulled in by the dependancy
check. My notes aren't clear, but I think it was Primitive: MPRUI.

--
Regards.
Mark K Vallevand
Ed de Vries said:
The steps I'm doing:
3) Then nothing happens

G

It works! KM, thanks VERY much! The "Just in case....." was the golden tip
I didn't know there are option settings in the "User Interface Core", thanks to the well-documented components ;-
I'm checking now if the other components do have option settings so I don't overlook these in the future
E

----- KM wrote: ----

Ed de Vries

Just in case, check if "Show context menu on Shell folders" option of "User Interface Core" component is set
Actually, the "Security Shell Extension" component provides ISecurityInformation for the file system and printer. This componen
displays the Security tab for file, folder, and printer objects. The Security tab allows users to view and edit permissions
Please double check the "File Sharing" and "Security Shell Extension" (the component visibility is 200) are included and th
components' dependencies are resolved
Try manually to register the rshx32.dll (with regsvr32, e.g.) (btw, do you use XPe/SP1?)

Then if nothing helps, you may want to monitor what is going on when you select "Sharing and Security..." context menu item. Us
Filemon/Regmon tools (www.sysinternals.com) to see what is missing from your image

-
KM
BSquare Corporatio
Well, I tried all of the above items 1) and 2), but without success. After clicking on "Sharing and Security >", the harddisk i
doing something, but after a few seconds it stops and nothing else happens. Maybe I'm missing some more components
Ed de Vries
1. Verify that "Security Shell Extension" component is included in th
configuration, and then add th
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Sharing]
@={f81e9010-6ea4-11ce-a7ff-00aa003ca9f6} registry key to add the sharin
context menu item
To add the Sharing tab in the properties ad
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\Sharing
@="{f81e9010-6ea4-11ce-a7ff-00aa003ca9f6"
2. Add "Map Network Drives/Network Places Wizard" and "Primitive:MPRUI components and see if it helps
3. Search this NG google archive for more info
K attached network
The steps I'm doing
1) In Explorer, I select a directory which I want to share, e.g. "Progra Files"
2) In the "File" menu, I select the menuline "Program Files", and the "Sharing and Security >
3) Then nothing happen
In XP (Pro), you get a window where you can do the share settings, but no in the XPe I built
I think I'm missing one or more components. I included almost everythin
for MS Networks, file sharing etc, but without succes

Ask a Question