Where to install programs after fresh install of 2000 Professional

eXistenZ

Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
Version: 5.00.2195 Service Pack 4
==============================

Need some advice please.
I am about to format and do a fresh install
of Windows 2000 Professional.

I have 2 hard drives 30GB each ( partitioned NTFS )
I will install the OS on C.

Question:
When I then install my programs can I install them on
a partition ( F ) on the second hard drive rather than in
C:\Program Files ?

I remember reading somewhere that
Office 2000 is best instatalled in C:\Program Files...??

My main programs are....
ACD
Add Remove Plus! 2004
Adobe
Ahead
amdeadlink
Autoruns
AutoSizer
Belarc
BitmapEx
East-Tec Eraser 2004
Easythumb
Empty Temp Folders 2.8.3
ERUNT
FerretSoft
FileFolderWriter
Find Junk Files
Free Surfer
FreeMeter
Hjsplit
iISystem Wiper
IrfanView
IZArc
JGsoft
jv16 PowerTools
K-Lite Codec Pack
Karen's Recycler
Lavasoft
MailWasher
Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer
Microsoft Office
My Uninstaller
Norton Internet Security
Paint Shop Pro 6
PowerQuest
Pruner
RegCompact
RegSeeker
Shortcuts Manager
SiteSnagger
Spybot - Search & Destroy
Startup Inspector for Windows
TClock
Trojan Remover
WinZip
WordWeb

Any help or advice appreciated.
eXistenZ

George Hester

30 GB is more than enough for your Op sys and Programs. I think it is in your interest to install always to the default except Pearl (that one can be tricky - to the C drive) because if you don't you'll always be reconfiguring. Always.

Leonard Severt [MSFT]

[...]

You can always install programs to another directory. That includes
Office. However some of your larger programs will put some data in the
Program Files directory. I always install games in a different directory
just so I can keep track of the space.

Leonard Severt
Microsoft Enterprise Support

Bruce Chambers

eXistenZ said:
I have 2 hard drives 30GB each ( partitioned NTFS )
I will install the OS on C.

Question:
When I then install my programs can I install them on
a partition ( F ) on the second hard drive rather than in
C:\Program Files ?

You can, but there's very little point, however, in having a
separate drive or partition for just applications and/or games. Should
you have to reinstall the OS, you'll still have to reinstall each and
every application and game anyway, in order to recreate the hundreds
(possibly thousands) of registry entries and to replace the dozens
(possibly hundreds) of essential system files back into the appropriate
Windows folders and sub-folders. This is a useful solution only if your
system partition lacks sufficient space for all of your applications.

On the other hand, placing data files on a partition or physical
hard drive separate from the operating system and applications can
greatly simplify system repairs/recoveries and data back-up.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

both at once. - RAH

Colon Terminus

As soon as you've got Win2K SP4 and your motherboard and video drivers
installed, copy C:\Program FIles to F:\Program Files. Edit the registry and
modify ProgramFilesDir accordingly. From that point on, all programs will
automatically install in F:\Program Files (well, almost all will. Some ill
behaved programs will want to install in their own directory).

eXistenZ

Thankyou to all who replied.