where to download kms server

Jim Webb

Where can I download the KMS server so I can start to activate Vista
Business? Thanks.

Jim Webb

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Jim,
KMS server is available in Volume License media after you change the
product key to a KMS Volume key.

The following links contain more information about Volume Activation 2.0 in
Windows Vista. • Windows Vista Volume Activation 2.0 Technical Guidance

This is a collection of Windows Vista Volume Activation 2.0 technical
documentation that provides planning, deployment, and operational guidance.
It includes the Volume Activation 2.0 Step-by-Step Guide, Volume Activation
2.0 FAQ, and other supporting materials. The Volume Activation 2.0
Step-by-Step Guide contains sample scripts to help troubleshoot common
Volume Activation 2.0 issues. For example, troubleshooting information is
included for issues related to Multiple Activation Key (MAK) activation,
Key Management Service (KMS) activation, recovery from reduced
functionality mode (RFM), and recovering non-genuine Windows Vista
computers. To view this documentation, visit the following Microsoft Web
site:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/plan/volact.mspx

To download this documentation, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=9893F83E-C8A5-4475-
B025-66C6B38B46E3&displaylang=en

Windows Vista Volume Activation 2.0 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
This guide provides answers to FAQs about Volume Activation 2.0 in Windows
Vista. To view the FAQs, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/plan/faq.mspx

Windows Vista Volume Activation 2.0 Step-By-Step Guide
This step-by-step guide provides planning, deployment, and operational
guidance for activating volume editions of the Windows Vista. To view or
download this guide, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/plan/volact1.mspx

Windows Vista Volume Activation 2.0 Technical Attributes
This documentation lists Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI)
properties, WMI methods, KMS registry keys and registry values, KMS events
that are logged to Event Viewer, volume license error messages and warning
messages, and Remote Procedure Call (RPC) messages. To view this
documentation, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/plan/volact2.mspx

TechNet Webcast: Windows Vista Volume Activation 2.0.
This is a webcast of a technial overview of Volume Activation 2.0, which
was presented by Thomas Lindeman on December 12, 2006 to an IT Professional
audience. Thomas Lindeman is a senior product manager on the Software
Protection Platform at Microsoft. To view this webcast, visit the following
Microsoft Web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/events/series/technetvista.mspx

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 12:20:01 -0500
|>From: "Jim Webb" <[email protected]>
|>Subject: where to download kms server
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
|>
|>Where can I download the KMS server so I can start to activate Vista
|>Business? Thanks.
|>
|>Jim Webb

Hi Darrell,

I too would like to know where to obtain the Volume Activation 2.0 service
to create a KMS server. If I have read everything correctly the Volume
Activation 2.0 service needs to be installed on a Windows 2003 server along
with a DNS entry and then all Vista clients will query the KMS server for
activation.
I noticed that you never really answer question submitted by the orginator.
is the Volume Activation 2.0 service available for download from MS? If so,
could you provide the link?
If it is not, do you know when it will be available?

We already have a KMS Volume key issued, so need to convert to one.

Thanks.

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
> [...]

documentation, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/plan/volact2.mspx

TechNet Webcast: Windows Vista Volume Activation 2.0.
This is a webcast of a technial overview of Volume Activation 2.0, which
was presented by Thomas Lindeman on December 12, 2006 to an IT Professional
audience. Thomas Lindeman is a senior product manager on the Software
Protection Platform at Microsoft. To view this webcast, visit the following
Microsoft Web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/events/series/technetvista.mspx

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 12:20:01 -0500
|>From: "Jim Webb" <[email protected]>
|>Subject: where to download kms server
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
|>
|>Where can I download the KMS server so I can start to activate Vista

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
The KMS key you have can be used on Windows Vista to setup a KMS Server.
All the functionality of KMS is already present in the Volume License
copies of Windows Vista
There is a wealth of Information available on Volume Licensing in Windows
Vista.
This article points to number of different documents explaining how to set
this up.
929712 Volume Activation information for Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;929712

The version of KMS for Windows Server 2003 is not available for download as
it's still in beta.
Targeted for release in Q1 of 2007.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]