What's your next upgrade?

Reaction score
I keep trying to work out the most sensible thing to upgrade next. I've just put a new 480W Antec TrueBlue psu in my Antec 1040 case, powering my existing XP2100+ /A7V333/512Mb PC2700 system, and a Ge4Ti4600 vid...but I'm definitely moving towards a second rig. So far I've considered an air-cooled option, based around either a full tower Lian-LiPC70 case or a coolermaster 101...with a new A7N8X mobo and something like the Barton XP3000+, and 512Mb Corsair PC3200 low latency cas2 Ram....or: a speed gain from simply vapochilling my existing cpu, updating all the other bits later.
Then, I thought: what the hell, just upgrade the RAM for now and get an instant performance boost from something that I reckon is least likely to change too much in terms of spec or price in the next few months (may even go up!!)...sit back and watch the market.

What would you do?
What are your own plans in, say, the next 3 months?

Just curious to know :crazy:

Reaction score
My next upgrade is a whole new computer. I've got a few parts here and there, but I need to buy the main bits. Maybe when I go off to college...or if I make a lot of money working this summer.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
In about 3 months ... upgrade will include

MSI K7N2G ILSR Nforce2
6 Chn Audio / DDR400 / USB 2.0 / 8X AGP / 333 FSB / LAN / 1394 / SATA

AMD Barton CPU (not sure what speed yet)

Already have everything else ... but then I just may build a compleate new system. :D

Reaction score
IF i had the cash to upgrade i have been looking at either a geforce4 ti 4600 to replace my wonderfuilly oced geforde 2 ti, or possibly a barton to replace my 1.4 t-bird ;)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
The stuff I ordered is arriving today, although I wanted to build around the Intel 845PEBT2 but due to unavailability had to switch to Asus P4PE which I think is a better choice.

Other stuff includes a 2.53GHz Intel processor, Corsair 512 MB Low Latency (Cas 2) Ram DDR 333, a new casing Denko D819 with front usb ports. I have rest of the stuff which which I will use to build the new system.

I have some commitments this weekend so I may not be able to put everything together but hopfully the rig will be complete next weekend.

Reaction score
Not heard of Denko...can't find 'em in the UK...what's the case like? Perhaps u could post a piccy when u've done your newbuild? (I'm just really interested in chassis at the moment, and my curiosity about new cases is strong:) ...it'll probably stay that way until I eventually decide what to buy!)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Denco D821

You can see from the pic on the Denco site that there is a cover at the bottom and behind it are two USB ports, this was something which I find very useful when I use my digi camera or card reader and also when I need to connet my laptop with the desktop via usb cable.

The casing is screwless and completely shielded. Looks OK to me8)

Here is the link to Denko

Attachments

• d821%20series1.jpg
    d821%20series1.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 220
Reaction score
One of the nicest looking cases I've seen in a while...I've not been able to find a UK supplier tho.
My Antec 1040 case doesn't have front USB ports, but for plugging in my digital camera, I stick it into one of the 2 USB sockets on my keyboard. This is very handy. I use an Apple Pro keyboard and a Microsoft Intellitype Internet Keyboard...both have 2 USB sockets. Not really appropriate for items that take a little more power, but very handy for smaller USB gadets.8)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Originally posted by 1nteger
One of the nicest looking cases I've seen in a while...I've not been able to find a UK supplier tho.

Why don't you contact Denco thru the link I have provided and find out from them if they have any dealer for their products in UK. That is if you really like the casing and want to consider getting one.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I received the stuff on Saturday and upon checking I found out that the Asus board was missing SATA cable, but I was even more surprised to see no connectors on the board itself, the promise raid controller was also missing together with firewire option. I promptly returned the board and asked for the one with all the options. Unfortunately the basic board which I received was the only option available. Now due to this problem I had to settle for the Intel board 845PEBT2 which hopfully I am getting within this week.

As for Ram, only 512 sticks are available and 256 modules are out of stock so I have no way but to go for a single stick now and maybe add another 512 stick later.

Looks like I ended up spending more than I planned to.

Ordered the Microsoft Optical mouse as well as Internet keyboard.

Now I will try to short list some SATA drives for later addition, meanwhile I will put the system together and see how it performs.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Hmmm

I don't know who your supplier is Quad, but I would change them. :p

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Re: Hmmm

Originally posted by muckshifter
I don't know who your supplier is Quad, but I would change them. :p

I have emailed him this thread:D

Reaction score
I wonder sometimes just how aware suppliers are that bad press about them can spread to lots of people on the web in forums like this one. Who was your supplier Quad?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Next upgrade?

Probably a DVD-RW. And probably the Pioneer A05 4 x

I noticed that a few weeks ago they were commonly available for around £190.00, then it seemed as though they all sold out overnight.

New stocks now commonly sell for around £220.00, which I reckon is some suppliers taking the mickey a bit as this product is in demand and in short supply.

I notice that Komplett are doing the OEM version for £185.00 though.

Other upgrades? Wouldn't mind a Barton CPU to go with my MSI KT3-V but they are way too pricey right now, imo.

Ask a Question