Whats the Win2K equivalent to Scandisk?

M Skabialka

A 6 month old laptop is running very slowly opening documents, spreadsheets,
emails, attachments etc.

I ran a diagnostics on the hardware which took forever and found nothing
wrong.

In Win98 and earlier we ran scandisk to find software errors. What is the
Windows 2000 version of software diagnostics since I can't find Scandisk
anywhere?

Thanks,
Mich

Steve Parry [MVP]

In
M Skabialka said:
A 6 month old laptop is running very slowly opening documents,
spreadsheets, emails, attachments etc.

I ran a diagnostics on the hardware which took forever and found
nothing wrong.

In Win98 and earlier we ran scandisk to find software errors. What
is the Windows 2000 version of software diagnostics since I can't
find Scandisk anywhere?

Thanks,
Mich

Start
Run
type
CMD
click OK
type
CHKDSK
press enter

dcdon

Hi M,

There are additional commands for CHKDSK that you can read about by

Command Prompt
type
CHKDSK /?

That will give you some parameters to use. Your system files can be scanned with

type
SFC /?

Quiet and Scannow are used frequently

good computing,
don
----------
Steve, You might be onto something giving the step-by-steps. Juries out, but it
makes sense to me :)
----------

"M Skabialka" <Remove NOSPAM from reply address> wrote in message
A 6 month old laptop is running very slowly opening documents, spreadsheets,
emails, attachments etc.

I ran a diagnostics on the hardware which took forever and found nothing
wrong.

In Win98 and earlier we ran scandisk to find software errors. What is the
Windows 2000 version of software diagnostics since I can't find Scandisk
anywhere?

Thanks,
Mich

Steve Parry [MVP]

its a habit that helps with some of my ...ahem ... "IT challenged users"
at work ;o)

dcdon

LOL
ROFL

needed a good laugh,
thanks for that,

don
=======

its a habit that helps with some of my ...ahem ... "IT challenged users"
at work ;o)

dcdon

No, not to far though.
I fly there some.
Live closer to Dallas
How'd you guess? Bet it's muh akcent.
LOL

don,

Steve Parry [MVP]

from your posting properties ..

"Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 18:38:14 GMT

I was over in Houston a year ago, found everyone to be very pleasant and
friendly. Did the usual tourist stuff, NASA, Galvaston, Keemah
boardwalk, the Galleria etc ..

dcdon

Road Runners adn quick and all over Texass, ooops.

don
Where in the Queen's Kingdom are you?
And I found out... doh, Ray, me.
Quite impressive.