What's the Best, Free, Total, Pop Up Blocker?

Roland Marsey

What's the Best, Free Pop Up Blocker that will Totally block ALL Pop
Ups? As I understand that some Pop-Ups are necessary, it would need
to have a 'disable' button to allow wanted PopUps.

Please only recommend a PopUp Blocker you are using or have had an
experience with.

Thanks in advance for your help!

LuckyStrike

"Disable Active Scripting" by MS. :)
Actually see here:
http://www.popup-killer-review.com/test.htm

I was having a discussion in another newsgroup on this, and that person
swore by a product you won't like. Cost $20.00 USD, so rule it out. (Popup
Cop was it's name.) He wrote me an 11 KB post on it. Must really like it.
:)

Google toolbar and it's pop-up blocker are decent for free, but not without
faults. The biggest faults are it permits mouseover, layered, and change
your explorer bar to a search engine pop-ups. The three I hate most of all.
It doesn't block good pop-ups though. (I use it BTW)
--

LuckyStrike
(e-mail address removed)

How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Jan Il

LuckyStrike said:
"Disable Active Scripting" by MS. :)
Actually see here:
http://www.popup-killer-review.com/test.htm

I was having a discussion in another newsgroup on this, and that person
swore by a product you won't like. Cost $20.00 USD, so rule it out. (Popup
Cop was it's name.) He wrote me an 11 KB post on it. Must really like it.
:)

Google toolbar and it's pop-up blocker are decent for free, but not without
faults. The biggest faults are it permits mouseover, layered, and change
your explorer bar to a search engine pop-ups. The three I hate most of all.
It doesn't block good pop-ups though. (I use it BTW)

I found it blocks Flash on some sights. Not all, but some. And the ones I
wanted.... of course. So, I no longer use it.

Jan :)

LuckyStrike

Jan Il" said:
"LuckyStrike" typed in
message news:[email protected]...

I found it blocks Flash on some sights. Not all, but some. And the ones I
wanted.... of course. So, I no longer use it.

Jan :)

Well I don't have that problem with flash (macromedia). I can't even get it
to install properly. :) The installer *should be* made by some spyware
company..., then just a l'il 'ol click on a ".gif pop-up" and ..voila...
installed. =-D

And so....to keep this thread on-topic, what are you using?

LuckyStrike
------------

Fuzzy Logic

(e-mail address removed) (Roland Marsey) wrote in
What's the Best, Free Pop Up Blocker that will Totally block ALL Pop
Ups? As I understand that some Pop-Ups are necessary, it would need
to have a 'disable' button to allow wanted PopUps.

Please only recommend a PopUp Blocker you are using or have had an
experience with.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Well I cannot say it's the 'best' as there are way to many to try. I have
been using Avant browser (a shell for IE) that includes a pop-up blocker,
flash blocker, ad blocker and assorted other goodies including tabbed
browsing. I stil get the very occaisional pop-up but it sures blocks a lot.
You can easily toggle the blockers as well as creating allow/block lists.
It's free and can be found at http://www.avantbrowser.com/

Jan Il

LuckyStrike said:
ones

Well I don't have that problem with flash (macromedia). I can't even get it
to install properly. :) The installer *should be* made by some spyware
company..., then just a l'il 'ol click on a ".gif pop-up" and ..voila...
installed. =-D

LOL!! Yeah...that should do it, alright!
And so....to keep this thread on-topic, what are you using?

Well..if you insist on staying on topic..<vbg>....I'm now using the MyIE2
with my IE: http://www.myie2.com/html_en/home.htm

While some people don't like it, and it might not work well for everyone, it
does work well for me. It blocks the ones I don't want, and leaves the ones
I want. And, I can have the other features I want too. I've tried several
other pop-up blockers, and the whole gambit of other readers/browers, and I
like the way the MyIE2 works for me. I also have Firefox installed. And..I
use them both. :))

Jan :)
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

LuckyStrike

Hey Jan -
Top-posting here. (I have supporters... Frank Saunders, et al. ;-)

Yeah, a "drive-by" install of Macromedia Flash would be a lot easier. :-D

Now, MyIE2 huh? Well, that's a lot more than just a pop-up blocker. Kinda
like an elephant gun for a mosquito. More like a browser 88 mm shell with a
pop-gun blocker armor plating. <bg>

OK then, does it work to block these? You probably can't test them right
now, but when you can, give 'em a try. These types rank very high on my
*hate 'em* list.
http://www.kephyr.com/popupkillertest/test/test10.html
http://www.kephyr.com/popupkillertest/test/test11.html
http://www.kephyr.com/popupkillertest/test/test12.html
http://www.kephyr.com/popupkillertest/test/test21.html

Yeah... have Firefox also, but I'm dealing with IE here. What? Does MS have
a Inetexplorer.Firefox.browser newsgroup? =-p
--
LuckyStrike
(e-mail address removed)

LuckyStrike said:
Hey Jan -
Top-posting here. (I have supporters... Frank Saunders, et al. ;-)

The man knows no fear... ;=))
Yeah, a "drive-by" install of Macromedia Flash would be a lot easier. :-D

I simply installed mine. No problem. What did you say to it?
Now, MyIE2 huh? Well, that's a lot more than just a pop-up blocker. Kinda
like an elephant gun for a mosquito. More like a browser 88 mm shell with a
pop-gun blocker armor plating. <bg>

Well, maybe, but, since we live in a world where some websites only work
with IE, it's just easier to take the overall pop-up whopper and be done
with it. I have ME, and not all things like to work with ME either. What
works for 2K, '98, XP, etc. may not work with ME. So, some of the things
I've tried might work well for you and some who have other OS's, but not for
ME. And....what works well for me might not for you or others. Go
figurer??? :)
OK then, does it work to block these? You probably can't test them right
now, but when you can, give 'em a try. These types rank very high on my
*hate 'em* list.
http://www.kephyr.com/popupkillertest/test/test10.html
http://www.kephyr.com/popupkillertest/test/test11.html
http://www.kephyr.com/popupkillertest/test/test12.html
http://www.kephyr.com/popupkillertest/test/test21.html

'k...now, remember, I'm not at home with my own machine, and the one I have
access to where I'm at now is restricted, thus, I can't install the MyIE2 to
test here, so I'll have to wait and test these when I return home.
Yeah... have Firefox also, but I'm dealing with IE here. What? Does MS have
a Inetexplorer.Firefox.browser newsgroup? =-p

Not yet.....but, hey...ya never know. ;-D

What I like about the MyIE2 is that, for me, it blocks the ad pop-ups and
such, but, it allows the site related pop-ups, and doesn't mess with the
Flash like Popup Stopper and several of the others did. Some of the popup
blockers stop the popups, but create more problems and annoyances than the
popups.

BTW, I just found out that MyIE2 is now Maxthon. Here's the updated link:
http://www.maxthon.com/en/index.htm

I'll forward this post to my personal addy and follow up on it when I get
back home in a few weeks and let you know what I find. Unless...you want to
try it. <vbg>

Jan :)
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

LuckyStrike

Jan Il said:
message news:ewlpzx%[email protected]...

The man knows no fear... ;=))

Heh! Then why am I in-lining this one, eh? :)
:-D

I simply installed mine. No problem. What did you say to it?

This is a mild-mannered public newsgroup... I cannot say right now. :-D
with

Well, maybe, but, since we live in a world where some websites only work
with IE, it's just easier to take the overall pop-up whopper and be done
with it. I have ME, and not all things like to work with ME either. What
works for 2K, '98, XP, etc. may not work with ME. So, some of the things
I've tried might work well for you and some who have other OS's, but not for
ME. And....what works well for me might not for you or others. Go
figurer??? :)

Look, We figured it 17 different ways, and every time we figured it, it was
no good, because no matter how we figured it, somebody didn't like the way
we figured it. So now, there's only one way to figure it, and that is, every
man..., including the ME..., for itself!
'k...now, remember, I'm not at home with my own machine, and the one I have
access to where I'm at now is restricted, thus, I can't install the MyIE2 to
test here, so I'll have to wait and test these when I return home.

Yeh. I remembered. By then, they'll have invented even more insidious brands
of the beast. said:
Not yet.....but, hey...ya never know. ;-D

Prolly an XP SP-2 IE7 will be next.
What I like about the MyIE2 is that, for me, it blocks the ad pop-ups and
such, but, it allows the site related pop-ups, and doesn't mess with the
Flash like Popup Stopper and several of the others did. Some of the popup
blockers stop the popups, but create more problems and annoyances than the
popups.

We'll see if it does when you try those puppies out. :-D
BTW, I just found out that MyIE2 is now Maxthon. Here's the updated link:
http://www.maxthon.com/en/index.htm

I'll forward this post to my personal addy and follow up on it when I get
back home in a few weeks and let you know what I find. Unless...you want to
try it. <vbg>

Good idea. And no... prolly not; I'm worried about Registry bloat!
Jan :)
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.
LuckyStrike <s>

Jan Il

LuckyStrike said:
Jan Il said:
Heh! Then why am I in-lining this one, eh? :)

Hmmm.....show off your new skates......(???)
This is a mild-mannered public newsgroup... I cannot say right now. :-D

W'll...there ya go! No wonder it didn't want to play on your machine. ;=)
Look, We figured it 17 different ways, and every time we figured it, it was
no good, because no matter how we figured it, somebody didn't like the way
we figured it. So now, there's only one way to figure it, and that is, every
man..., including the ME..., for itself!

My thoughts exactly. Ahmm...well...close, anyway. "We" being you and your
mouse? Clever little things...if you push the right buttons. Or..is it the
left...??
MyIE2

Yeh. I remembered. By then, they'll have invented even more insidious brands
of the beast. <g>

How little faith....it's not like I'm playing Nanook of the North, ya know.
I'm only in Virginia, not NWT. It'll only be a couple of weeks, so I don't
think things will change all that much in that time. 'Sides, I'm curious to
see the outcome of this too. This seems to be a growing problem all the
time, so it will be interesting to see how well it works in your test cases.
Prolly an XP SP-2 IE7 will be next.

I've a few pence in a sock saved for that rainy day. ;=)
We'll see if it does when you try those puppies out. :-D

On this...I've just been informed that Maxthon is still in Beta, so, best to
wait a while on that one. The old MyIE2 is still available.
want

Good idea. And no... prolly not; I'm worried about Registry bloat!

Oh.... yeah.....the old Registry bloat excuse. 'K...since I already have it,
I'll brave the waters. :))

Jan :)
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Roland Marsey

Thanks to everyone that posted!
LuckyStrike wrote:
"Disable Active Scripting" by MS. :)

I did what you suggested LuckyStrike and it worked GREAT! I have IE
5.5 (haven't bothered to upgrade to 6.X) and in Tools->Internet
Options->Security->Custom Level, I DISABLED EVERYTHING except:

Microsoft VM
Java permissions
x High Safety

Miscellaneous
Software channel permissions
x High Safety
Submit nonencrypted form data
x Prompt

Scripting
Active scripting
x Enable

User Authentication
x Prompt for user name and password

and it works great except I don't have a 'disable button' like wanted
in my original post. But I think I have a work-around for that.

Maybe someone else can tell me if this will work or not. I'm used to
making modifications directly to the Registry using Regedit. I'm
thinking about making two little .reg files, HighSecurity.reg, and
MedSecurity.reg. HighSecurity.reg will contain all the keys and data
I need to activate the permissions stated above, and MedSecurity.reg
will contain the Medium security permissions that are used by 'safe'
websites. I'll put a shortcut to these two files on my Quicklaunch
taskbar, and whenever I'm going to a unknown/dangerous website, I'll
just click the HighSecurity.reg shortcut. And when I want to go back
to 'normal' security, I'll just click on the MedSecurity.reg shortcut.

The only thing I don't know is, since I'm adding new information to my
registry everytime I click on the .reg shortcuts, will the computer
have to reboot before those changes take effect? If that's the case,
I'll have to figure something else out, since that would be too much
of a hassle.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Charlie Tame

Try this page. You can easily add two buttons for Restricted and Trusted
zones, then run "Restricted" by default using the "Trusted" button to put
only sites you can trust into the zone where your permissions are much more
open. No need to re-invent the wheel, use the Zones. You can then leave the
"Internet Zone" more or less tightly secure just like the "Restricted" zone
and change levels at the click of a button.

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/resource6.htm

By the way I would consider updating to IE6 since some hazards in earlier
versions couldn't be "Fixed" and also see www.java.sun.com where you can get
the SUN Java machine that doesn't have a great big hole in it. Eric's
utility works just fine with IE6 here by the way.

Charlie

T.J. Johnston

There are better free products out there than the Panicware PopUp Stopper.
Used to be a good product but it is less and less effective these days. Try
the Google toolbar, MSN toolbar, or the SP2 built-in popup blocking. They
all have their faults but they are quite good for "free." For a pay stopper,
consider the Stopzilla (http://www.stopzilla.com) which stops spyware or the
Super Ad Blocker (http://www.superadblocker.com) which stops spyware and
flying and banner ads.

T.J.