Whatever happened to the Windows USB RAM boost?

John Doe

Anybody ever used it? What did it do for you?

Did Microsoft drop it?

Partly curious, thanks.

..winston

"John Doe" wrote in message
Anybody ever used it? What did it do for you?
Did Microsoft drop it?
Partly curious, thanks.

Yes, Not much
No (supported on Vista, Win7, Win8)

DevilsPGD

John Doe said:
Anybody ever used it? What did it do for you?

Did Microsoft drop it?

Partly curious, thanks.

It still exists. However, it's somewhat pointless since RAM is so much
cheaper today, SSDs are cheap and negate the need to use flash as a
cache, and Windows itself is so much lighter weight than Vista.

Loren Pechtel

Anybody ever used it? What did it do for you?

Did Microsoft drop it?

Partly curious, thanks.

With 64 bit systems there's no good reason for it anymore. If you
want the performance boost do it with real RAM. Readyboost existed
when that wasn't an option.

DevilsPGD

In the last episode of <[email protected]>,
Loren Pechtel said:
With 64 bit systems there's no good reason for it anymore. If you
want the performance boost do it with real RAM. Readyboost existed
when that wasn't an option.

That, plus when ReadyBoost came out, RAM was expensive and it wasn't
practical to max out hardware RAM capacities.

Paul

John Doe

The lone Microsoft Ranger...

--

Rajath N said:
Hi John,

Windows USB RAM Boost feature is known as Windows ReadyBoost. Windows
Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 support this feature. This feature uses
external USB flash drives as a hard disk cache to improve disk read
performance. For information on this, please visit the following link:
US/windows7/products/features/readyboost

DevilsPGD

Paul said:
Enjoy the cheap RAM while it's still available.

You know those memory guys, are eventually going to "get even".
My guess is, it's going to come as a shock when it happens.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-07-02/micron-agrees-to-buy-elpida-in-2-5-billion-transaction.html

RAM goes up, RAM goes down. I remember in the early 2000s when I
couldn't even get a wholesaler to quote me on RAM because their cost
changed between when they started typing the invoice and when I showed
up at the office; they had so many people placing large spec orders and
then canceling when prices dropped a day later that they refused to
quote until you were physically in the office, and then the quote was
good for immediate payment only.

Sure, the manufacturers will try and squeeze every penny they can, and
good on them. Once the prices go high enough, it will make market sense
to build more factories and high margins won't last forever. No
different than the scarcity of drives after the Thailand flooding.

John Doe

Paul said:
Enjoy the cheap RAM while it's still available.

Playing adversary... The ultraportable computer (smartphone)
market has exploded. That technology might help bring down the
prices of PC components, since they are mostly miniatures of the
parts we use.

Paul

John said:
Playing adversary... The ultraportable computer (smartphone)
market has exploded. That technology might help bring down the
prices of PC components, since they are mostly miniatures of the
parts we use.

Since fabs with 12" wafer capability came out, the
fabs have been able to produce memory chips faster
than they can be consumed. It means everyone loses
money, continuously. The only time money is made,
is at the beginning of the introduction of new memory
standards, where a tidy profit is made during the
first part of the memory cycle. If new memory is
not introduced every 18 months, then, more of the
memory companies could fold from the losses.

In the past, national governments have financially backed
their nations memory supplier, artificially interfering
with market forces.

However, the sad economic state of the world, means
that national governments have "other fish to fry",
and they might not be able to interfere in the market
for several years (before recovery). This means,
market forces will take over, one company will buy
another (and crush it). And gradually, fab capacity
will drop. Fewer 12" lines. Dominant memory suppliers
will win.

And... we'll be at their mercy again. And presumably,
for a long time.

While a national government will prop up an existing
memory company, no national government will bank roll
one from scratch. Any companies that die - they're gone
for good. Which means the structural problems that
have existed for some time, are about to change, and
likely, for the future. There's no way to "get that
glut back" once it's gone.

Paul