What will replace DAP's in Access 07?

I've been reading that DAP's will not be a feature of Access 07.

I have been using DAP's a lot for our intranet, and they work nicely. When
we are forced to upgrade to 07 (currently using 03). Will I still be able
to modify my DAP's within Access? Will they still work on our intranet?

and if DAP's are no longer going to be a feature, is there going to be any
type of web connectivity type feature that replaces them within Acess?

Thanks

Dirk Goldgar

Chris said:
I've been reading that DAP's will not be a feature of Access 07.

I have been using DAP's a lot for our intranet, and they work nicely.
When we are forced to upgrade to 07 (currently using 03). Will I
still be able to modify my DAP's within Access? Will they still work
on our intranet?

and if DAP's are no longer going to be a feature, is there going to
be any type of web connectivity type feature that replaces them
within Acess?

It's not something I know much about, but I imagine that SharePoint
lists are expected to fill that slot. Access '07 has enhanced support
for SharePoint.

My understanding is that, though DAPs are deprecated and you won't be
able to create new ones, existing ones will still work. I'm not sure
about modifying them.

Dirk Goldgar

"Pieter Wijnen"
<it.isi.llegal.to.send.unsollicited.mail.wijnen.nospam.please@online.rep
lace.with.norway>
wrote in message news:[email protected]
And you could always keep your current version to maintain?

I guess, but I don't really know.

Anyone who has the beta running, and also a copy of the current Access.
Could you try created a DAP and then see if you can modify it in 07?

I can't install the beta here at work to test.

I really hope they didn't make it impossible to modify these, I've done a
lot of work creating these, and would be really upset if they totally took
away anyway to modify them.

Thanks
Chris.

Brendan Reynolds

I tried it, Chris, and there is no option available to open the page in
design view in Access 2007. You can open it in normal page view, but it does
not open within the Access window as it does in Access 2003, it opens in IE.

Dirk Goldgar

Brendan Reynolds said:
I tried it, Chris, and there is no option available to open the page
in design view in Access 2007. You can open it in normal page view,
but it does not open within the Access window as it does in Access
2003, it opens in IE.

So I guess you have to keep a copy of Access 2003 installed to maintain
your DAPs.

Brendan Reynolds

In the short-term, yes. In the longer term, I think that anyone still using
DAPs would be well advised to start moving to some other technology.

Dirk Goldgar

Brendan Reynolds said:
In the short-term, yes. In the longer term, I think that anyone still
using DAPs would be well advised to start moving to some other
technology.

No disagreement here.

Thanks for testing it for me.
I'm pretty disappointed that they have totally removed this, with no way to
continue modify the work I've done. Or no new way to create webpages that
will connect to the database.

When my work does update to 07, we have no option to keep older versions.
We'll all get it.

And I have no other options for displaying our data on our department
website. DAP's worked great.

This bites.

John Vinson

When my work does update to 07, we have no option to keep older versions.
We'll all get it.

Just note that you can run BOTH versions. It is not necessary to
remove 2003 in order to install 2007. Right now I'm running 2.0, 97,
2000, 2002 and 2003.

John W. Vinson[MVP]

When my work upgrades softwares, it removes older versions automatically.
I doubt they'll make an exception, but at that time I'll have to find out I
guess.

Larry Linson

"Pieter Wijnen"
And you could always keep your current version to maintain?

That is what I understood -- Access 2007 will support running the DAPs, but
you'll need to keep Access 2003 or earlier to maintain or enhance them, or
create new DAPs. But, bear in mind that Access 2007 is only at Beta 2 level,
and many things could change before it is released.

Larry Linson
Microsoft Access MVP

Larry Linson

When my work upgrades softwares, it
removes older versions automatically.
I doubt they'll make an exception, but
at that time I'll have to find out I guess.

It is surprising how rational an apparently-arbitrary IT department can
become when user management tells IT management, "I need this to conduct the
company's business."

Dirk Goldgar

Chris said:
Thanks for testing it for me.
I'm pretty disappointed that they have totally removed this, with no
way to continue modify the work I've done. Or no new way to create
webpages that will connect to the database.

When my work does update to 07, we have no option to keep older
versions. We'll all get it.

And I have no other options for displaying our data on our department
website. DAP's worked great.

This bites.

I think the general sentiment was that DAPs didn't work all that well,
but I have no opinion of my own. I'd rather they never removed
functionality, though I can understand the demands posed by limited
resources.

Anyway, as I said, I think MS expects that the function provided by DAPs
will either be provided by the enhanced integration with SharePoint
(which is what I'd be looking into if I were you), or by .Net web
applications built with Visual Studio.