what ways a tas can be run automatically

GS

I am trying to track down a task and stop it from running every noon hour. I
looked under scheduled tasks of possible users,
startup,

the task is running as system

where else should I look?

db

antiviral have the
ability to schedule
automatic updates
at specified times
or dates a user selects
or accepts as a default
when the program(s)
are installed.

whatever is doing the
task you are tracking
down, it is due to a
program that is running
and active and likely to
be one of the processes
running in task manager-
(ctrl alt del)

another tool that can be
revealing is called
"autoruns" from microsoft.com

I am trying to track down a task and stop it from running every noon hour. I
looked under scheduled tasks of possible users,
startup,

the task is running as system

where else should I look?

GS

thank you. unfortunately still no luck yet.
"db" <databaseben.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message antiviral have the
[...]

go to this site and use a
process monitoring tool.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/default.mspx

however, you will have to dedicate some
time and simply sit at the pc and
do nothing except monitor the
pesky rascal during that period of
time it decides to venture out into
cyberspace.

i suggest to run the process monitor
or process explorer and keep an eagle
eye on the process that loads in memory
and takes high priority during that
scheduled transmission.

however, i have a strong feeling since
it occurs at noon, there is something
obvious that you may be overlooking;
as high noon is normally a default time/
preset for most programs until the user
decides to modify it. but the remaining
question is which one?

[...]

incidentally, i noticed that
automatic updates can
be configured with a time.

unfortunately, i failed
to mentioned this possibility
since automatic updates is
not an option i regularly use.

you can check yours via
control panel.

"db" <databaseben.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message go to this site and use a
[...]

thank you for your info. I know it is something to do antivirus scanning. but just could figure out where to cut it off. rtvscan is always on. normally it can be controlled by administrator to schedule a run at designated time even if administrator not logged in. but in this case the scanned is deliberately set to run 7 am Sunday and disabled. I looked under a number users, non found either under the av itself nor the av's toolbox that can runas as scheduled.

I am tempted to reinstall the whole os, av, ms office and a couple of apps. I figure the user can always use their roaming profile and not get affected much.

this should cure the problem unless user roaming profile contained the scheduled av
"db" <databaseben.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message incidentally, i noticed that
[...]

well, you might simply
try to focus on the av
only.

no point in "redoing the