What Surface of The Hard Drive Gets The Hottest?

dead_man_walking

On or aboutThu, 15 Jun 2006 10:15:59 -0400, Agent_C
<[email protected]> defied logic with:

|The top plate, or the bottom with the electronics? I'm trying to
|determine the best way to position a cooler for a 15,000 RPM SCSI.
|
|This is the unit:
|http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=370882
|
|Thanks,
|
|A_C

Heat rises.
--

-John

Wow, I am 2 months past my expiration date and still edible.

Artificial Intelligence stands no chance
against Natural Stupidity.

Lynx users are like the Amish of the Internet.

Beemer Biker

Agent_C said:
The top plate, or the bottom with the electronics? I'm trying to
determine the best way to position a cooler for a 15,000 RPM SCSI.

This is the unit:
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=370882

Thanks,

A_C

If you got an overheating problem, the only viable solution is to bring more
air into the case or pull more air out of the case. In addition, the air
needs to circulate past the drive. I asssum you have a case that is not
designed for good air management. IMHO adding the fan shown in that url can
cause more problems than it solves in the long run. The fan itself
introduces heat and if the air is not exhausted that fan is more likely to
freeze then the hard drive. When it freezes you will be worse off.

Since these are SCSI's I assume there are LVD and accept rather long cables
making relocation simpler. Have you already replaced your flat cables with
round ones and tied them out of the way so that air can circulate?

Beemer Biker joestateson at grandecom dot net
http://TipsForTheComputingImpaired.com
http://ResearchRiders.org Ask about my 99'R1100RT

Percival P. Cassidy

You don't say what drive it is, but the docs for my Seagate 10K drives
say to have the air flowing in any direction along or across both top
and bottom surfaces of the drive.

IOW, the unit depicted at the URL you included would not do however you
mounted it.

Perce

Rod Speed

Heat rises.

But that doesnt necessarily mean that the top is the
hottest, and thats only true of hot air anyway. You've
likely noticed that most of the drive isnt actually air.

Rod Speed

If you got an overheating problem, the only viable solution is
to bring more air into the case or pull more air out of the case.

Wrong. If there is very little airflow where the drives are, and you
have more than one drive mounted adjacent, increasing the airflow
over the drive will have a measurable effect on the drive temperature.
In addition, the air needs to circulate past the drive.

It will with that one.
I asssum you have a case that is not designed for good air management.

Rash assumption.
IMHO adding the fan shown in that url can cause
more problems than it solves in the long run.

But hardly ever does in practice.
The fan itself introduces heat

But bugger all as far as the total heat produced is concerned.
and if the air is not exhausted that fan is
more likely to freeze then the hard drive.

Thats completely silly.
When it freezes you will be worse off.

Not necessarily. That particular fan has decent passive cooling too.
Since these are SCSI's I assume there are LVD and
accept rather long cables making relocation simpler.
Have you already replaced your flat cables with round ones
and tied them out of the way so that air can circulate?

Wont help significantly with more than one drive
mounted adjacent with no free slot between them.

dead_man_walking

On or aboutFri, 16 Jun 2006 05:15:07 +1000, "Rod Speed"
<[email protected]> defied logic with:

|>> The top plate, or the bottom with the electronics? I'm trying to
|>> determine the best way to position a cooler for a 15,000 RPM SCSI.
|
|>> This is the unit:
|>> http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=370882
|
|> Heat rises.
|
|But that doesnt necessarily mean that the top is the
|hottest, and thats only true of hot air anyway. You've
|likely noticed that most of the drive isnt actually air.

True. But if you reach into your computer and touch the top of the hdd
and the feel up the PCB on the bottom, the top is hotter. All this is
arbitrary anyway, the best solution is to have the intake (preferably
a 120mm fan) parked right out in front of the hard drives. IMO the
hard drive coolers are just a gimmick.
--

-John

Wow, I am 2 months past my expiration date and still edible.

Artificial Intelligence stands no chance
against Natural Stupidity.

Lynx users are like the Amish of the Internet.

Stan Shankman

The motor, and that which it drives, are the primary sources of heat inside
a disk drive. The design is such that the drive's body, or aluminum casing,
is itself a heat sink. All you need concern yourself with, is keeping the
case temperature below the manufacturer's specification. Simple
convection-cooling is the preferred method. In the unlikely event that
forced air cooling is necessary, simply pass air from side to side, or end
to end over the drive allowing the moving air to flow past as much of the
drive's body as possible. It ain't rocket science. Many home computer
builders needlessly spend money on superfluous cooling that, more often then
not, results in nothing more than a noisy computer.
Hope this helps,
- Stan

Folkert Rienstra

Beemer Biker said:
If you got an overheating problem, the only viable solution is to bring more
air into the case or pull more air out of the case. In addition, the air
needs to circulate past the drive. I asssum you have a case that is not
designed for good air management. IMHO adding the fan shown in that url
can cause more problems than it solves in the long run. The fan itself
introduces heat and if the air is not exhausted that fan is more likely to
freeze then the hard drive. When it freezes you will be worse off.
Since these are SCSI's I assume there are LVD and accept rather long
cables making relocation simpler.

As if 1.5 meters isn't long enough.
Have you already replaced your flat cables with round ones and tied them
out of the way so that air can circulate?

Which can be just as easily done with flat cables too.

Rod Speed

True. But if you reach into your computer and touch the top of
the hdd and the feel up the PCB on the bottom, the top is hotter.

Not for the reason you stated tho.
All this is arbitrary anyway,
Nope.

the best solution is to have the intake (preferably a
120mm fan) parked right out in front of the hard drives.

Not always practical with some cases.
IMO the hard drive coolers are just a gimmick.

More fool you. They do work with drives that are hotter than normal.

Rod Speed

Stan Shankman said:
The motor, and that which it drives, are the primary sources of heat
inside a disk drive. The design is such that the drive's body, or
aluminum casing, is itself a heat sink. All you need concern yourself
with, is keeping the case temperature below the manufacturer's
specification. Simple convection-cooling is the preferred method.

Not practical with some cases.
In the unlikely event that forced air cooling is necessary,

It isnt unlikely at all with more than one drive mounted with
no free bay between them with drives that get pretty warm.
simply pass air from side to side, or end to end over the drive allowing
the moving air to flow past as much of the drive's body as possible.

It can be easier to do that with one of those coolers.
It ain't rocket science. Many home computer builders needlessly
spend money on superfluous cooling that, more often then not,
results in nothing more than a noisy computer.

And plenty let their drives get too hot too.

dead_man_walking

On or aboutFri, 16 Jun 2006 07:27:09 +1000, "Rod Speed"
<[email protected]> defied logic with:

|>> But that doesnt necessarily mean that the top is the
|>> hottest, and thats only true of hot air anyway. You've
|>> likely noticed that most of the drive isnt actually air.
|
|> True. But if you reach into your computer and touch the top of
|> the hdd and the feel up the PCB on the bottom, the top is hotter.
|
|Not for the reason you stated tho.
|
|> All this is arbitrary anyway,
|
|Nope.
|
|> the best solution is to have the intake (preferably a
|> 120mm fan) parked right out in front of the hard drives.
|
|Not always practical with some cases.
|
|> IMO the hard drive coolers are just a gimmick.
|
|More fool you. They do work with drives that are hotter than normal.

Summat.
Case air flow /is/ optimal solution.
--

-John

Wow, I am 2 months past my expiration date and still edible.

Artificial Intelligence stands no chance
against Natural Stupidity.

Lynx users are like the Amish of the Internet.

John Doe

Rod Speed said:
Not always practical with some cases.

My case came with a 120 mm intake fan in front of the removable hard
drive rack. I wouldn't have it any other way.

John Doe

Troll

From: "Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa gmail.com>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.periphs.scsi,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Subject: Re: What Surface of The Hard Drive Gets The Hottest?
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 12:53:49 +1000

Summat.
Case air flow /is/ optimal solution.

Wrong, as always.

dead_man_walking

Yeah, well."Rod Speed" <[email protected]> got this reaction:

|>> Not for the reason you stated tho.

|>> Nope.

|>> Not always practical with some cases.

|>> More fool you. They do work with drives that are hotter than normal.
|
|> Summat.
|> Case air flow /is/ optimal solution.
|
|Wrong, as always.

D'joosaysumpin?