What Push Bike?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I set out at around 16:00 hours last Sunday afternoon on my old push bike and ended up in Surrey Quays (Rotherhithe) and so figured it really is about time I got a better bike than this old rusty Peugeot me mate pulled out of a skip about 8 years ago.

I only have a small budget, about £300 and I haven't a clue what to buy so any ideas?

I'd like the bike to have a set of panniers which I'd probably buy seperately, not bothered about mudguards. I only use the bike for pottering about and sometimes some small shopping, only criteria is it's easy to ride, not bothered about speed or mountain biking.

I noticed Halfords had a range of mountain bikes for sale recently supposedly reduced to half price from £340.00 to £170.00, I was tempted by that but ideally would rather purchase from independent dealers, we have two of them locally here.

If need be I'll ask in those shops but wondered if anybody here had any suggestions.

Reaction score
evans cycles or halfords.:thumb:
always good as if something goes wrong their local.
nearest evans cycles to you could be canary wharf?

and haggle over the price or get something for free.
these are hard times for retailers & bargains can be had if you ask!!

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Sorry Abarb but one of the reasons (though not at all the main reason) for riding a bike is it keeps the old limbs supple and the lungs functioning well. An electric bike horrifies me, it's kinda like those moving walkways at airports :lol:

TXD: If it's raining then I don't ride a bike, simple so not bothered about mudguards. Have been caught a few times though and suffered a wet bum.

Feckit, Evans bikes are also at London Bridge and the only way I can get to Canary Wharf is by Docklands Light Railway and they don't allow bikes onboard. From London bridge I could take the bike home on a train or even ride it home, it's quite close.

As I mentioned, I'd rather support a local independent shop than a National chain, I apreciate individuals making a go of their own business. And I take your point about haggling for a deal, good idea, folks are desperate for a turnover right now so every little counts.

Abarbarian said:
I would not spend more than £150 on a manual bike.

I would. If I had the means I'd spend a lot more than the £300.00 I've allocated as well but needs dictates means, as they say.

Reaction score
£350 I spent on mine and can probably count on two hands the amount of times i've ridden it

Good bike too