What is winhlp16.exe?

G

I tried looking this file up and I don't know if it's a Windows file or not. I know that winhlp32.exe is real and I've had a similar problem solved before. One file was real and it had 32 at the end and the other (16) was spyware. My firewall caught this program trying to create a connection to the internet and act as a server. My question is: Do you have winhlp16.exe on your Windows XP system?

You can find the file by going to "C:\Windows\System32\" and clicking on "Tools>Folder Options" and clicking on the "View" tab unchecking "Hide protected operating system files."

Now, I searched all around the internet and found one site, not even Microsoft had any information on it and the site said that it was spyware. I wasn't sure if this information was legitimate so what I did was remove the file from the folder and moved it to the desktop and put it in a zip file just in case.

I need to know if other people have this file and how many because I think it could be a worm.

Thanks.

C

Chris

Have you run Spybot Search and Destroy on your computer? That is an
excellent program. So good that if I wasn't a poor college student I
would send the guy $30... maybe even more. If it's spyware SS&D will
find it.

-Chris

G

Hey, I found the solution. It was a worm or something, maybe Sasser? I got it removed and everything's fine now.

Ask a Question