what is the best A/V freeware?

Mike Andrade

(e-mail address removed) (xtort), while in a state of nirvana, chanted the
following in
I was wondering what everyone thinks is the best A/V freeware
these days?

The one that detects the most viruses.

3

|3iff //ullins

I was wondering what everyone thinks is the best A/V freeware these days?
unfortunately there isn't one. if you want decent a/v protection, be
prepared to pay for it.

Barney

(e-mail address removed) (xtort) had
written
I was wondering what everyone thinks is the best A/V freeware
these days?

I am trying "Anti Var Guard" after using "AVG" from Grifsoft. I changed
over because some users say one is better then the other. Anti Var
seems to not use as much CPU memory. Not as glamerous as AVG and
apparantly dosen't scan email. I like AVG but if the latter works
better I'll stick with it. I did use Norton's untill it expired and
had no trouble with it but apparantly some users do. Also the users of
Anti Var claim it works better then Norton.
It's an unfair comparison in my case as to the fact I haven't gotten
any virus's to date.

Dick Kistler

xtort said:
I was wondering what everyone thinks is the best A/V freeware these
days?

best,
xtort
[http://xtort.net]

Munge around in here and form an opinion:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=antivirus+tests

All are good in that they find at least some viruses, and will probably be
ok if you have all the other security stuff(firewall, hosts file, restricted
sites list, anti-spyware, registry-install watcher, anti-spam, anti-popup,
and COMMON SENSE).

All are bad in that none find all viruses and they are at best reactive and
will not stop new threats and don't replace COMMON SENSE!

Hope this helps.

Dick Kistler

Papageno

xtort said:
I was wondering what everyone thinks is the best A/V freeware these days?

I've been using AVG for over a year now. I have it on 5 computers. Easy to
use and NO hiccups.

I'd been using McAfee and Norton ... whichever came with the computer.

I did a couple of paid subscriptions over the years, but I got annoyed when
a new version of Norton hung my computer (Win 98 at that time), and required
some serious sleuthing to get rid of it.

Given AVG's track record, now I conclude that the way to get the best
protection is to pay less (ie, NOTHING) for it.

Thip

Papageno said:
days?

I've been using AVG for over a year now. I have it on 5 computers. Easy to
use and NO hiccups.

I'd been using McAfee and Norton ... whichever came with the computer.

I did a couple of paid subscriptions over the years, but I got annoyed when
a new version of Norton hung my computer (Win 98 at that time), and required
some serious sleuthing to get rid of it.

Given AVG's track record, now I conclude that the way to get the best
protection is to pay less (ie, NOTHING) for it.
I agree. I paid for McAfee, promptly caught the Blaster, uninstalled it,
reinstalled AVG, and haven't had a problem since.

Alice

(e-mail address removed) (xtort) had
written

I am trying "Anti Var Guard" after using "AVG" from Grifsoft. I
changed over because some users say one is better then the
other. Anti Var seems to not use as much CPU memory. Not as
glamerous as AVG and apparantly dosen't scan email. I like AVG
but if the latter works better I'll stick with it. I did use
Norton's untill it expired and had no trouble with it but
apparantly some users do. Also the users of Anti Var claim it
works better then Norton. It's an unfair comparison in my case
as to the fact I haven't gotten any virus's to date.

AntiVir? This one? http://www.free-av.com/

Do you have a link or news group to go to to find out what the users
say about this? If you mean AntiVir.
Or link to "Anti Var Guard" and peoples comments link.

Thank you.
Sorry, I'm a bit confused by the name. :(

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson

I was wondering what everyone thinks is the best A/V freeware these days?

It is a FAQ and leads in the wrong direction. Because it is difficult to
explain everything you need to know within a single posting I advise you
to read:

http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html

Be sure to not only browse through the AV reviews but read the rest of
these pages, too.

With kind regards.
BeAr

Francesco

In data 9 Oct 2004 12:51:37 -0700, xtort ha scritto:
I was wondering what everyone thinks is the best A/V freeware these days?

I don't know which one is the best but I surely think Avast is really good

Bye, Francesco

REM

I am trying "Anti Var Guard" after using "AVG" from Grifsoft. I changed
over because some users say one is better then the other. Anti Var
seems to not use as much CPU memory. Not as glamerous as AVG and
apparantly dosen't scan email. I like AVG but if the latter works
better I'll stick with it. I did use Norton's untill it expired and
had no trouble with it but apparantly some users do. Also the users of
Anti Var claim it works better then Norton.
It's an unfair comparison in my case as to the fact I haven't gotten
any virus's to date.

I use AntiVir after using AVG. I had a bug that AVG at first did not
recognize. After an update or two it recognized, but could not remove
it. I tried AntiVir from recommendations here and it zapped it. That's
just one event though. I like it and stayed with it.

The AntiVir updates are large and continuous. Pretty much every boot I
can expect to download a meg, sometimes up to 4 with a program update.
Sometimes, after a program update, it's tough to get updates for a day
or two. I don't really know why the downloads are so large, they seem
to be a static size. I feel they work harder and longer than most
other companies in staying as up to date as they can though.

Occasionally I have a conflict between Thunderbird and AntiVir.
AntiVir will flag an attachment, or viral sig, on download and wants
to take control. Thunderbird doesn't seem to want to relinquish
control. If I delete the infection in AntiVir, the message shell is
left in Thunderbird and is hard to get rid of.

I feel AntiVir is a pretty darned good freeware AV. I still haven't
tried Avast, to be fair. AVG and AntiVir are the only two I've spent
quality time with.

MLC

_Francesco_, domenica 10/ott/2004:
In data 9 Oct 2004 12:51:37 -0700, xtort ha scritto:

I don't know which one is the best but I surely think Avast is really good

Bye, Francesco

anch'io!

( = me too! )

Ron May

Message-ID said:
_Francesco_, domenica 10/ott/2004:

anch'io!

( = me too! )

Don't know if any one A/V prog can be called the "best" either, but I
also settled on Avast after trying nearly all the most popular titles.
AVG comes in a close second (IMHO at least.) Forget the big two
$$$ware options (Norton & McAfee.) They're not even in the running.

Ron M.

Barney

Alice <[email protected]> had
written
AntiVir? This one? http://www.free-av.com/

Do you have a link or news group to go to to find out what the
users say about this? If you mean AntiVir.
Or link to "Anti Var Guard" and peoples comments link.

Thank you.
Sorry, I'm a bit confused by the name. :(
Yes thats the right link. I can't remember which freeware site I got
it through but it (THE freeware site) had "Users Comments" where at
least a dosen people recommended AntVar. Honestly I had no problem
with AVG but I am interested if AntiVar is better. The fact it uses
less resources gave it a + over AVG. Not as pretty though!