WHAT IS RAW

sum1152

I think my external HD was out of work, it displayed as RAW in the
Windows explorer, WHAT IS RAW?

What's worse, I can not access the files stored on the HD. Also some
strange characters displayed, I

can not read them. I connected it on my brother's pc, it's the same as
what I saw on my machine.

What I wanna to do now is to archive all the files. That's the most
important thing for me.

What should i do and how to do?

Arno Wagner

Previously said:
I think my external HD was out of work, it displayed as RAW in the
Windows explorer, WHAT IS RAW?

Not partitioned and/or formatted. In a sense "as bought in the shop",
i.e. raw...
What's worse, I can not access the files stored on the HD. Also some
strange characters displayed, I can not read them. I connected it on
my brother's pc, it's the same as what I saw on my machine. What I
wanna to do now is to archive all the files. That's the most
important thing for me.
What should i do and how to do?

First, make an image (sector-wise) copy of the disk. After that
you can try several different recovery software products, one
or the other may find your files again.

Arno

Franc Zabkar

I think my external HD was out of work, it displayed as RAW in the
Windows explorer, WHAT IS RAW?

What's worse, I can not access the files stored on the HD. Also some
strange characters displayed, I

can not read them. I connected it on my brother's pc, it's the same as
what I saw on my machine.

Can you post these (using cut and paste)?
What I wanna to do now is to archive all the files. That's the most
important thing for me.

What should i do and how to do?

I had this problem when the boot sector of a logical volume was
zeroed. In my case I had to reconstruct the boot sector by hand.

I suggest that you refrain from trying to write to this disc. At least
try to make a copy of the MBR and partition table, and have a look at
the boot sector.

Assuming you are using Windows, you can dump the boot sector by
executing the following at a command prompt:

debug
-L 100 n 0 1 (where n=0,1,2,3 ... for drive A:,B:,C:,D: ...)
-D 100 2ff
-Q

Look for text strings such as FAT32, NTFS, NTLDR, IO.SYS, etc

For comparison purposes, here are various boot sector and MBR
templates extracted from AUTOCHK.EXE and DISKPART.EXE (Windows XP
Home):

http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/XP_Boot/XP_Boot.zip

- Franc Zabkar

Memnoch

Not partitioned and/or formatted. In a sense "as bought in the shop",
i.e. raw...

First, make an image (sector-wise) copy of the disk. After that
you can try several different recovery software products, one
or the other may find your files again.

I recommend the R-Studio products by r-tools technology.

http://www.r-studio.com/

Stretch

Arno Wagner wrote in news:[email protected]
Not partitioned and/or formatted.
In a sense "as bought in the shop", i.e. raw...

Wrong. It's a mode of access, without using a file system.
The drive in question may or may not have been partitioned and formatted.