What flavor for a rookie?

Spezi

Wolf Cruncher
Reaction score
I have a spare box that is only used for crunching and I think it's time I install and learn Linux.

I'm interested in feedback as to what flavor you think would be best for someone completely new?

As indicated I only use the box for crunching but I do want to learn all the ins and outs because if I'm pleased I may well migrate my other units to Linux.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Hey Spezi!
happywave.gif

Mucks will be the best guy to tell you. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've managed to get on quite well with Suse 10.2.

Although, gotta say, everything that's dead simple in Windows is well hard in Linux.

Most things are ok but when it comes to more complex matters (ie installing Games, believe it or not - like UT2004) you will need to know what you're doing or seek help.

In short, most modern Linux distros are well easy now, until you want to mess with the engine. Then you need to know what you're doing.

But.

The help and the info is out there, if you have the patience.

Right now, I don't have the patience but now and again I'll dabble and one day, hopefully, it's all I'll use :)

Spezi

Wolf Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi V_R hadn't really realized this is where you hang out.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Hi Spezi - not had much experience with Linux, apart from Suse10.0 a while ago, but just getting back into it again.

Like Flops I've been trying Suse10.2 and looks good, and pretty simple to get the basics up and running.

Heard good reports about Ubuntu or Kubuntu, and see alot of crunching folks around that seem to be using that - there are a few tutorials around on the net showing how best to get those up and running with boinc and other crunching clients.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I'm no Linux guru, fact is, I chose my Linux distros based on how easy they were for me to use ... I still pulled my hair out in the early days. (and still do now)
laughingsmiley.gif

As I see it, you have 2 choices ... Ubuntu or OpenSuse 10.2

Ubuntu is so damn simple to use as a "crunchin" box, it is what is actually being used on The JMW PC ...
nod.gif

Ubuntu is gnome Kubuntu is KDE ... you can install KDE onto Ubuntu but it is damn confusing ... well for me it is.

If you go the Ubuntu route, then there is only one "package" you need install ... it is Automatix ... through it, you can install nVidia drivers and other "missing" bits-n-bobs AND Boinc ... anybody can use Ubuntu, it really is a no-brainer.

If, on the other hand, you want to actually "learn" some Linux, then I would suggest OpenSuse 10.2 DVD ... the DVD contains everything you need, if you can only use CDs, then get the "add-on" CD at the same time ... it will save some problems later.

Installing OpenSuse needs a word of caution ... if you do not tell it to "add" the extras pack, then you will probably need to do a re-install to get it ... yep, there are still some anomalies that drove me nuts.

The "Gem Report" now called Hacking OpenSuse is a must have bookmark, make sure you read it first ... I'll say that again, READ it first ... installing opensuse will be so much easier. ;)

Installin Bonkit (sorry still hate the feckin program) is a matter of following Boinc's instructions ... most of the time they work, but on my last install I was damned if I could actually get the boincmgr (Bonkit manager) to actually work ... I gave up in the end. :rolleyes:

I'll help where I can, but I no longer have Linux on a "play" PC ... we do have a mutual acquaintance who can help a lot more than I can ... we know him as Grogan. ;)

Enjoy!

user.gif

Spezi

Wolf Cruncher
Reaction score
I guess I'll download OpenSuse 10.2 thanks Mucks.

I've put it off long enough so best get at it before spring comes and I have another excuse not to do it. :)

Spezi

Wolf Cruncher
Reaction score
Got Suse10.2 installed on my AMD64 3000+ test box.

I put BOINC on it and can see it downloaded work units just have to get familiar with this plain Jane desktop setup and figure out how to tell whether it's running or not.

I installed it as root/user/boinc

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Mucks or Flops may have a better idea, but I would have thought you could run BoincView under WINE to monitor its progress?

Spezi

Wolf Cruncher
Reaction score
Well I changed flavors and settled on PCLOS for now.

I love the setup and graphics as well as the revolving desktop.

Once I get a bit more familiar with it I think it shall easily put Vista to shame not to mention the price is more attractive. :p

Check out these screen shots... http://www.linfx.com/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=2

Reaction score
I've been using Linux for a while and i can say that, if you want to be a linux guru go hardcore - Gentoo, Slackware, Archlinux, Debian(from hardest to easiest) Or if you want just try linux apps and go slowly you could use ubuntu and other easy linux distro, like SuSE, Fedora Core and PCBSD(not quite linux, but it's still *nix)

Ask a Question