%what ever program% is not a valid win32 application

I have a computer running windows XP media center. If I click on an icon or
try to start an application by typing it into the run dialog, I get the error
message that %program% is not a valid win32 application. Where %program% is
the name of the application that I'm trying to launch. If I right click on an
application and select run as, and run it as my user account, it runs fine.
Unless, it tries to launch another program. Then the program that it tries to
launch gives the above error message.
MacAfee, Symantec, and Trend Micro all show the machine as clean. I even
tried putting the hard drive into another computer and scanning it from
there. Trend Micro's housecall is the only scan that was done while the
computer was running.
I also scanned it with lava softs ad-aware while the machine was running.
I've also tried doing a repair install from the CD's. When I do this, toward
the end of the installation I start getting messages about programs not being
valid win32 applications.
I have also scanned the start up programs with hijackthis, and there are 2
missing dll's that I can't get rid of the keys for.
They are:
c:\windows\system32\dmsint.dll
c:\windows\system32\nepanep.dll
winlogon notify: vlpwyjyh - nepanep.dll

Noone has answered you yet...try...

RUN - sfc /scannow - put the space between the c and the forward slash .

....the application may ask for the installtion CD.

I forgot to list that in my initial description. I ran sfc /purgecache and
then sfc /scannow to make sure that I was getting clean files off of the CD.
I also tried using dial-a-fix/ Most of it's options will not run do to the
"application error" that I'm having.
If anyone else has any idea, I'd love to know what is going on here. I think
that it is going to take a format and re-install to fix this one. I hate that
solution, just because it leave so many un answered questions.

umwhat

Check out Adobe.com for a reinstall of Adobe Flash Player9. because
something strange happened the other day. Flash Player said it updated to
version 6. You can check the Macromedia folder in the Windows32 folder to
see the version. If there is any version other than version 9 delete all the
files in the Macromedia folder and install Flash Player.
I'm saying this because nearly every error I have seen reported on this
Newsgroup I seem to think
I have seen on my screen before my computer crashed....you may think I am
imagining this but most of them its true...
I did a complete 9 hour hard drive format and updated correctly to Flash
Player 9 and no further problems.
The specific problem you report is not something I recognize before the
computer crashed but I do seem to remember something about % xxxxxxx % . So
this may be worth a try.
The other day I had decided to look at Microsoft webpages for solutions to
the many things that had gone wrong. I had tried WIndows Update about 4
hours earlier.
I clicked a link to Microsoft Update on a Microsoft webpage...why?...you
tell me...I think I was tired actually....and there was a security update
and 2 other updates. It may have been the monthly updates but I thought I
already had them for this month.
I am at home most of the time and do not have mission critical data to take
care of so a reformat and a reinstall are matters I can consider lightly.
...just things you may like to try while you wait...