What does the Below mean

william4444

Hi all would greatly appreciate any form of help on the below. It's in
one of my spreadsheets & am trying to work it out. Currently the sheet
States March thou on the address bar it's got the below Formula. I
don't now what it means & i'd like to change March into April. There is
no spreadsheet named Index or Global Input sheet???Am very lost would
love some help, & explanation as to what it means & does..

Cheers
Will

=INDEX('Global Input Sheet'!D12:D23,reportperiod)&" "

Hugh

It is likely that you have a hidden worksheet, go to
Format>Worksheet>Unhide. 'less, of course it are password protected, in
which case a password from someone would be most helpful......

the "INDEX" portion is the function that returns the result shown in the
cell. Might want to check the Help file.

Don Guillett

From HELP
See Also

Returns the reference of the cell at the intersection of a particular row
and column. If the reference is made up of nonadjacent selections, you can
pick the selection to look in.

The INDEX function has two syntax forms: array and reference. The array form
always returns a value or an array of values; the reference form always
returns a reference.

Syntax 2

Reference form

INDEX(reference,row_num,column_num,area_num)

===========

So, the formula is looking for a worksheet named 'Global Input Sheet'!, and
range D12:D23 is the reference and reportperiod is the row_num.

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"william4444" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

daddylonglegs

If you have

=INDEX('Global Input Sheet'!D12:D23,reportperiod)&" "

I'd guess that 'Global Input Sheet'!D12 = "January", D13 ="February"
etc.

reportperiod is presumably a named range (of one cell) that contains a
number 1 to 12. If it can be changed manually then change that to 4 and
you'll get April.

You don't really need a list of the months, you could achieve the same
with

=TEXT(reportperiod*29,"mmmm "), or if you wanted the Month to change
automatically each month

=TEXT(NOW(),"mmmm ")